This coffee cake is swirled generously, with lots of gooey cinnamon filling in a tender vanilla cake, like a huge cinnamon roll (of course) and it's loaded with cinnamon apple bits! It's then drizzled with a thick blanket of cream cheese glaze and believe me when I say, it tastes out of this world "YUMMY-DELICIOUS"!!
Yo! It's apple pickin' time and everyone is extremely excited about baking with apples, along with it's bestie, cinnamon spice! Yay! Apple Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake has arrived!
You won't be able to walk away from this one...but why would you want to, I ask? Who does that?
I know who doesn't do that! Me, myself and I...ha!
It's super, super yummy warmed up in the microwave or fresh out of the oven. In fact, it's best warmed up, so just pop it in the microwave for 15 seconds for ultimate results. *swoon*
It's perfect for breakfast, brunch and weekends for certain.
If you want to impress your family or friends or give someone a nice baked good for whatever reason...then 'BINGO'.
By George, I think this one is a winner. The crowd roars!
You can leave the apples out completely, but for other options, you could also add in some walnuts or pecans for some crunch and nuttiness.
I think peaches, cranberries or any berries for that matter, would do nicely in this as well.
For preparing, it's best to have everything done in the particular order as the instructions specify.
Since we are making cake, it's important to remember to not overmix the batter and to get it in the oven as soon as you have all the batter, cinnamon filling and apples all together in your prepared pan, to get the best results. The batter should be made last.
I used Greek yogurt, but you could use your favorite milk of choice or even sour cream.
For more cinnamon love
- Sinful ‘Cinnabon’ Cinnamon Roll Cake
- Cinnamon Pumpkin Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Easy Quick Gooey Cinnamon Rolls
- 4 Amazing Apple Coffee Cakes
- Cinnamon Apple Muffins - GF, Keto | Low-Carb, Sugar-Free
- Cinnamon Swirl Streusel Coffee Cake for the Weekends! (9x13 Pan)
- Country Cinnamon Swirl Buttermilk Loaf
- 'Awesome' Cinnamon Applesauce Cake
- Overnight Cinnamon French Toast Bake
So, now, let's devour cake. It's what we do best! Enjoy!
Apple Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Cinnamon Apple Mixture
- 1 medium to large granny smith apple chopped into small bits for cooking through
- 1 & ½ tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or maple syrup
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour or gluten-free flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt or milk of choice
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar add more if needed
- 1 tablespoon almond milk or milk of choice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract or maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 9 baking pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix together the butter, sugar, flour, and cinnamon together with a spoon until smooth until it resembles a paste. Set aside.
Cinnamon Apple Mixture
- Chop apples into small bits and mix with cinnamon and sugar and set aside.
Vanilla Cake Batter
- Measure out the Greek yogurt or milk and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the softened butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract/maple syrup and combine. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, whisking to combine. Slowly alternate folding in the flour mixture and the sour cream/Greek yogurt into the wet ingredients until everything is combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Spoon the cinnamon paste mixture over the top of the cake by spreading it out a bit, then add the cinnamon apple mixture on top and then swirl through the cake with a butter knife.
- Bake 35 - 40 minutes until cake is done.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- While the cake cools make the glaze. Combine the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk in a large bowl, beating until smooth either using a mixer or whisk. You can also soften the cream cheese in the microwave 20 seconds and then add in the other ingredients.
- Pour over cooled cake and then enjoy a piece warmed up in the microwave for 15 seconds. Enjoy!