Make this Cinnamon Swirl Streusel Coffee Cake for the weekends, ok?
I feel coffee cakes were meant to be made on the weekends, so you can feast & snack on them all weekend and then throughout the first of the week. (That is if they make it to the week, right?)
How about some coffee with that cake?
It's just general knowledge that a cup of coffee is the perfect accompaniment to this luscious, moist cake adorned with ribbons of cinnamon & sugar and lovingly topped off with an adequate layer of buttery, cinnamon-sugared and crumbly streusel, A simple glaze if you will, to give it a nice finishing touch.
Umm...Seriously. What are you doing this weekend?
My mom made a coffee cake and I really enjoyed it, but I don't know if she made it from Bisquick or it was a scratch recipe, but it was very simple and it had just the right amount of cinnamon as I remember.
So, now I'm going to have to ask her about that, aren't I? Maybe it was my Grandma Blackford's recipe? Need to know!
I vividly remember the house would fill up with that sweet, intoxicating buttery cinnamon coffee cake aroma while it was baking and would drive us all so crazy.
It smelled heavenly.
And, more heavenly, getting to devour a big slice of it, like 15 minutes after it cooled down just a tad.
OH EM GEE! Who can wait?!
Well, just be FORWARNED!
It's ok!!! This is a good FORWARN. 🙂
Trust me, the family will come together, hunker down and maybe not leave the house. Wait...is that the goal? That might actually work ya know, if it is!
Coffee cake and family sounds like a great combo to me!
It's also perfect for breakfast, snacking and served with coffee (or milk). Coffee Cake lovers will be swooning!
Feeding a small crowd (9 large servings), like just you and me? I'm kidding...ok? Eating desserts in moderation is a good rule of thumb for me, but sometimes I fall off the wagon on purpose. 😉 But if so, just halve the recipe and bake in an 8"x8" pan, otherwise, this recipe fits a 9"x13" pan nicely and you get 12- 15 servings.
Easy, delicious recipe and it tastes amazing. You probably have all the ingredients you need at the house.
More breakfast love? Oh I got your back!
Cinnamon Swirl Streusel Coffee Cake for Weekends! (9x13 Pan)
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 8 oz cream cheese softened (or mascarpone, softened)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup buttermilk I used ½ cup almond milk with 1 teaspoon vinegar added, stirred and let sit for 5 minutes to curdle for buttermilk substitution because I prefer to use almond milk
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 10 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 ⅓ cup all-purpose flour -
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp brown sugar packed
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons almond milk or milk of choice
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray 13x9 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a medium-sized bowl in 10 second increments stirring in between each interval until just melted. Allow to cool a bit if butter is too hot.
- Use a fork to whisk together the flour, sugars, cinnamon, and salt. Pour in melted butter to mixture and use a fork to stir until combined and has crumble texture.
- In another small bowl, whisk together brown sugar and cinnamon for cinnamon swirl. Set aside.
- In separate, medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cornstarch and salt. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, in a large bowl, cream together butter and softened cream cheese.
- Add in sugars and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture, alternating with some of the buttermilk several times mixing with each addition until all combined.
- Spread almost half of the thick batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the CINNAMON SUGAR mixture evenly over the batter.
- Spoon remaining batter over the cinnamon sugar layer and use a knife to spread evenly over the top. You can also swirl the batter to get more cinnamon swirls, optional.
- Sprinkle STREUSEL TOPPING evenly over batter.
- Bake on 350F for 40-50 minutes. Check doneness with a toothpick.
- Allow to cool before cutting and serving.
- If desired, make glaze by whisking together powdered sugar and milk together to get the consistency desired.
- Drizzle over cooled coffee cake.
Recipe adapted from Sugar Spun Run