Got apples? I've got these tasty, delectable Easy Dutch Crumble Apple Pie Bars to share with you and you're gonna want to make these apple-icious bars pronto!
These 6 Apple Fall Baking Recipes will get you apple-inspired for sure!
These Dutch apple bars feature a comforting buttery, brown sugar crumble topping, freshly baked apples seasoned with warm cinnamon sugar spice and it's baked atop a delicious shortbread crust.
Definitely scrumptious and so much easier to make than your normal home-made apple pie. OMGoodness yumminess!
Easy to make!
All you do is prepare your shortbread crust by using a food processor or pastry cutter and press the dough it into your 8x8 pan and start to pre-bake the crust for 15 minutes.
While the crust is baking, prepare your crumble topping and set aside, then slice your apples thinly and season with cinnamon and sugar, again set aside. We're ready to assemble! Need more info what apples to use while baking? We used Granny Smith apples, our favorite, but check out Bon Appetit's The Best Apples for Baking to find out more!
After the shortbread crust has baked 15 minutes, layer the apples on top of the shortbread crust, then follow it up with the crumble by sprinkling it on top of the apples and that's it!
Bake and enjoy how heavenly your house will smell. It's intoxicating to say the least!
If you've not had a chance to try it, I highly recommend it and it's perfect to give away to friends and family during all of the holiday seasons.
Other Ways to Serve
- For a crunchier topping add some pecans, walnuts or toffee into your crumble mixture.
- After the bars are done, slice them into servings after they've completely cooled. Be sure to store the bars in an airtight container, or over the baking dish in plastic wrap before placing it in the refrigerator. Refrigerate and take them out of the fridge as needed.
- Serve as is or with some vanilla glaze, caramel sauce or pair it with a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream with the apple bar warmed up in the microwave for an incredibly, sinful experience! This dessert screams FALL! 🙂
These Easy Dutch Crumble Apple Pie Bars may disappear fast! If you’re serving more than just a few people, double the recipe and bake in a 9×13 baking dish. Apple comfort food at it's finest!
More Apple Favorites
- Caramel Glazed Apple Crumble Coffee Cake
- 25 Apple-icious Desserts That’ll Tempt You
- Dutch Apple Pie with Oatmeal Streusel
- Salted Caramel Chip Apple Blondies
- Apple Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake
- Cinnamon Applesauce Cake
- Farmhouse Apple Walnut Loaf
- Awesome Country Apple Fritter Bread
Easy Dutch Crumble Apple Pie Bars
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
DUTCH APPLE FILLING
- 3 large Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, and thinly sliced or small julienne style (3 ½ - 4 cups) (can use honeycrisp or any firm type apple)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter chilled butter, cut into cubes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Optional: ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8x8 inch baking dish with cooking spray, line with parchment for easy removal.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy for 2-3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and mix until combined. Add flour and mix until combined and dough is crumbly.
- Press dough evenly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until dough is slightly puffed. Remove from oven and set aside to prepare to add the Dutch Apple Filling.
DUTCH APPLE FILLING
- Meanwhile, while the crust is baking, in a large bowl, combine the apple filling ingredients: toss apples with cinnamon, nutmeg, flour and sugar until evenly coated, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, using a pastry cutter, combine brown sugar, flour, salt and butter together and mix until crumbly; set aside. Add cinnamon for an extra boost of cinnamon if you wish! Can also use food processor for quicker results.
ASSEMBLE THE BARS
- Maintain oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Place apple mixture in an even layer over baked crust.
- Sprinkle with crumble topping.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool 2 hours then refrigerate 2 hours. Serve or store in an airtight container.
Recipe slightly modified from Food Network