Enjoy this Southern old-fashioned tender, buttery coffee cake and pound cake with family and friends for special weekends and brunches! Feeds a crowd, looks elegant and tastes like heaven!
Seriously. Like Heaven.
As soon as I made the cake, my husband started whining. Pretty much non-stop. Kind of driving me nuts. You know what I mean? I was hearing….When can I have the cake?? Kimmm…Can I have some coffee cake yet? How long do I have to wait?? Ready yet?? I’m going to get some cake nowwww! Ok??? Nowwww???
Ugh…Just think of that only 20 times over and over…yep, good times! 🙂
But then, it’s no wonder!
It looked beautiful and golden and the intoxicating smell of brown sugar, cake, vanilla and cinnamon was arousing and swirling through the house. Mmmm-mmmm
So, after wrapping up the photo shoot, he finally got his wish.
After he had his cake, all was good. Until the next morning.
I woke up to a note placed next to the remaining coffee cake, which was three quarters left, mind you. It read…”If you touch my cake, I will hurt you” with mad emojis surrounding the lettering. My husband has a very humorous side, so I’m gonna chalk that up to his cute way of saying, he loved the cake.
That’s how good it is!
Streusel Coffee Cake Pound Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup butter softened
- 8 oz. sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
Middle Brown Sugar Cinnamon Layer:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed firmly
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Optional: 1 cup pecans finely chopped
- ½ cup brown sugar packed firmly
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter softened
- Optional: ¾ cup pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour 10 inch tube pan (16 cups) using shortening for the grease and set aside
- In a small bowl, make the Middle Brown Sugar Cinnamon mixture by mixing brown sugar and cinnamon together and set aside.
- In another small bowl, Make the Streusel by mixing together the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and then cut in the butter using a pastry cutter or fork to get crumbles and set aside.
- In another bowl, add flour and baking soda together, set aside.
- Using a mixer, cream butter until creamy in a large bowl, then add in sugar and mix until fluffy. Add in eggs one a time, mixing in each time. Add vanilla.
- Start alternating the flour mixture and sour cream in the butter mixture starting and ending with the flour, mixing after each addition.
- Pour 1/2 of the cake batter into prepared baking pan and then sprinkle the Middle Brown Sugar Cinnamon Layer on top.
- Finish adding the rest of the batter, then add the struesel on top and bake 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes. Check cake by using a pick to check for doneness.
- Once cake is baked, place cake on wire rack, loosen up sides with knife and let cool for 15 minutes. Release from pan and let cake cool an hour.
- To make glaze, if preferred. take 1/2 cup to 1 cup confectioners sugar and 2-3 tablespoons cream and milk to make nice glaze and drizzle on top of cake.
- Double the struesel and brown sugar-cinnamon mixture if you want more of that!
- 12 servings.Keep cake covered or sealed for freshness. Cake will last up to 5 days.
Love breakfast or snacking cakes?