Enjoy this Southern old-fashioned tender, buttery coffee and pound cake with family and friends for special weekends and brunches! Feeds a crowd, looks elegant and tastes like heaven! Seriously. Like Heaven. Seriously.
As soon as I made the cake, my husband started whining. Pretty much non-stop. Kind of driving me nuts. You know what I mean?
I was hearing....When can I have the cake?? Kimmm...Can I have some coffee cake yet? How long do I have to wait?? Ready yet?? I'm going to get some cake nowwww! Ok??? Nowwww???
Ugh...Just think of that only 20 times over and over...yep, good times! 🙂
But then, it's no wonder with this Streusel Coffee Cake Pound Cake! Beautiful, golden and intoxicating smells of brown sugar, pound cake, vanilla and cinnamon was arousing and swirling through the house.
Oh my Lord! Yum....Mmmm-mmmm
So, after wrapping up the photo shoot, he finally got his wish.
Especially, after he had his cake, all was good. Until the next morning. I woke up to a note placed next to the remaining coffee cake, which was three quarters left, mind you.
The note read..."If you touch my cake, I will hurt you" with mad emojis surrounding the lettering.
My husband has a very humorous side, so I'm gonna chalk that up to his cute way of saying, he loved the cake.
That's how good it is! You really need to try this Streusel Coffee Cake Pound Cake!
Love breakfast or snacking cakes?
Lush Raspberry Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake
Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake
Buttermilk Blueberry Explosion Cake!
Caramel Glazed Apple Crumble Coffee Cake
Streusel Coffee Cake Pound Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter softened
- 8 oz. sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
Middle Brown Sugar Cinnamon Layer:
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed firmly
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Optional: 1 cup pecans finely chopped
- ½ cup brown sugar packed firmly
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter softened
- Optional: ¾ cup pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour 10 inch tube pan (16 cups) using shortening for the grease and set aside
- In a small bowl, make the Middle Brown Sugar Cinnamon mixture by mixing brown sugar and cinnamon together and set aside.
- In another small bowl, Make the Streusel by mixing together the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and then cut in the butter using a pastry cutter or fork to get crumbles and set aside.
- In another bowl, add flour and baking soda together, set aside.
- Using a mixer, cream butter until creamy in a large bowl, then add in sugar and mix until fluffy. Add in eggs one a time, mixing in each time. Add vanilla.
- Start alternating the flour mixture and sour cream in the butter mixture starting and ending with the flour, mixing after each addition.
- Pour ½ of the cake batter into prepared baking pan and then sprinkle the Middle Brown Sugar Cinnamon Layer on top.
- Finish adding the rest of the batter, then add the struesel on top and bake 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes. Check cake by using a pick to check for doneness.
- Once cake is baked, place cake on wire rack, loosen up sides with knife and let cool for 15 minutes. Release from pan and let cake cool an hour.
- To make glaze, if preferred. take ½ cup to 1 cup confectioners sugar and 2-3 tablespoons cream and milk to make nice glaze and drizzle on top of cake.
- Double the struesel and brown sugar-cinnamon mixture if you want more of that!
- 12 servings.Keep cake covered or sealed for freshness. Cake will last up to 5 days.
Kim Lange says
That's awesome! You will love it and you can add blueberries or nuts or anything you wish or leave as is. Enjoy Cathy!!
This reminds me of a cake my grandmother use to make. I've been trying to replicate it for many years. It was so good. I can't wait to try this.
Kim Lange says
No, you put it on top of the cake and bake it in a pan like an angel food cake. Hope that helps!
CATHERINE L says
Your picture is of bundt cake. do you put the steusell crumble in the bottom first? Will it burn?
Kim Lange says
Lea, I would add tin foil to the top of the pan and cover the pan loosely sometime half-way through baking or add it on top when you see it getting the color you desire and don't want it to get darker. The foil trick is awesome if this happens to any baking you are doing, even for casseroles, meats, breads, so pretty much anything! Hope this helps and I'm so happy it came out beautifully for you Lea! xo
Lea Barrett says
HI - I made this today and added the optional pecans to the streusel mix, the cake came out beautiful but the topping was burnt. My oven was on the correct setting. How can I avoid this in future?
Absolutely delicious. I did not make the strudel correctly and it fell to the bottom. I did read up on making the strudel and next time I will get it right. This recipe is definitely going in the recipe box.
I hope you do Laura! 🙂 It's so good! Happy Easter!
I used unsalted Jen, but you can use salted if you want to omit the salt in the recipe. Hope you enjoy!!
I can almost smell this lovely cake! And the crumb! This looks amazing~maybe I’ll make this for Easter!
Did you use salted or unsalted butter?
You could make it in 2 loaf pans. I don't think it will all fit in one, or you could halve the recipe. As far as the eggs, you could substitute some applesauce but the texture is key to this with all the other ingredients. 1/4 cup applesauce equals one egg. Hope that helps Lydia! 🙂
Could you make this in a loaf pan? Could you make it will less eggs?
Absolutely appropriate anytime of the day if you ask me! 🙂 Thank you so much Leanne!! 🙂
leanne | Crumb top baking says
I would definitely whine for a piece of this cake too! And it would go perfectly with my cup of coffee this morning. It's coffee cake, so totally appropriate for breakfast, right?!
🙂 Thank you Kelsie! It is amazing!!
Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen says
I don't blame your husband one bit. I'd pester you till I got a piece too! This looks DELICIOUS!
Yay! I'm so happy to hear that Loretta! I hope you all enjoy it!! xoxo
Thank you! I hope you enjoy it Marilyn! 🙂
Making for Easter brunch. Looks delicious and can't wait to taste it!
Marilyn Petitto says
Hi Kim: Thank you very much for the instructions, I cannot wait to make the Pound Cake.
Kelly, I'd gladly save you a piece, but I might get my hand chopped off!! 🙂 Happy Friday Girl!!
Kelly @ Kelly Lynns Sweets and Treats says
Hehehehe your husband is too cute 🙂 and I don’t blame him for wanting this all to himself!! I keep meaning to make a coffee cake....but I just want to eat yours! Xoxo
SO sorry K Rose! I honestly do not know what happened to them, but it's added in now! Hope you enjoy!!
Done and sorry Marilyn! 🙂
Not sure what happened but it's there now! Thank you all for letting me know! 🙂
Cynthia Walker says
So, where are the directions? Oven temp, etc.? Thanks
Marilyn Petitto says
On your Streusel Coffee Cake Pound Cake, you did not give the instructions on how to prepare the cake, you gave just the Ingredients. Can you please add on the Instructions. Thank you.
K. Rose says
I cannot find directions to this coffee cake. I have never had problems before. Is it right in front of my face & I can’t see it?!!!?.