+Oh My Heavens! This Buttermilk Blueberry Explosion Cake absolutely makes my day! It's not overly sweet and it's jammed with juicy, sweet & tangy blueberries bursting with tons of flavor in a light, fluffy, buttermilk coffee cake. Super easy to make and it's the perfect snack in the middle of the afternoon or for breakfast!
Are you drooling yet? You want to taste this blueberry desserts don't you? Trust me...it's the cat's pajamas and way, way more! Not too sweet of a cake, but sweet enough to please, exploding with juicy blueberries in every bite!
It's so fresh and lush tasting! And when it's served warm? Holy Cow! Can you just imagine all those flavors exploding in your mouth? 🙂 Add some ice cream on top, or some whipped cream for an extra treat!
Hands down, one of the best breakfast or snacking cakes I've ever had. You can make them into muffins if you wish or in a cake loaf pan! The baked sugar on top is optional, but it adds a nice touch!
If you're into blueberries and cake, this Buttermilk Blueberry Explosion Cake is an easy recipe everyone will love! Now just give me some coffee!
Other Blueberry Desserts that rock!
- Best Blueberry Crumble Muffins
- Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake
- Lemon Blueberry Explosion Loaf
- Bakery Style Blueberry & Blackberry Muffins
- Healthy Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins - Sugar Free & Vegan Options
- Melt in your Mouth Blueberry Cake @ AllRecipes
- Valerie Bertinelli's Buttermilk Blueberry Cake @ Valerie Bertinelli
Buttermilk Blueberry Explosion Cake!
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest from 1 large lemon
- 2 large eggs room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour or cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups blueberries fresh
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- Optional: Sugar for top
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Prepare a 8 or 9-inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a mixer, cream the softened butter, 1 cup of sugar and the lemon zest until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. (You can sift the flour, into another bowl, if you want even more of a fluffier texture)
- Gradually add in the flour mixture to the wet batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk until incorporated. Fold in the blueberries.
- Spread batter into pan and sprinkle the batter with a tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes for an 8 inch pan and 30-35 minutes for a 9 inch pan. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If cake appears to getting brown before the timer goes off, add a layer of kitchen foil. Halfway through baking, you can place a layer of kitchen foil over the top of the cake to prevent over-browning,
- Return pan to oven for a couple of more minutes, if necessary.
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy the blueberry explosion!
To make buttermilk - add 2 ½ teaspoons white vinegar or lemon juice to milk and let it sit for 5 minutes.