These Best Lemon Bars practically "melt-in-your-mouth". The rich tartness of the gooey lemon curd filling, the sweetness of the powdered sugar, the flaky buttery shortbread crust…*sigh*
So, I’ve narrowed it down to 3 reasons why to make these bars over and over again! Because, really, there are just about a ba-jillion reasons why I could go on and on for lemon bars, but I’ll just make it real simple and break it down for you.
Number 1 Reason:
“Easy to make!” Yeah? Easier than you would think if you've never made them. Aren’t we always looking for something to taste and impress that’s out of this world? Like we slaved hour upon hour, when really it was chalked up to only a few minutes here and a few minutes there!
There are 2 steps to putting these together.
- Making the buttery shortbread crust, which takes just a few short minutes to mix up and press into a pan. Pop it in the oven and bake away for 15 minutes or so.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the lemon layer, which again, takes just a few short minutes and pour it on top of that baked crust after it's baked, and pop it in the oven and let the lemon bar ‘magic’ begin.
Number 2 Reason:
They practically "melt-in-your-mouth". It’s got the perfect ratio of bursting citrus flavor. And home-made!! Like who can beat that? Made with real dairy butter, fresh eggs, lemon zest and juice.
Number 3 Reason:
These popular lemon bars are huge crowd-pleasers for your next gathering this spring or summer! They are little bites of heaven bursting with fresh lemon flavor!
More Bars I’m Crushin’ on!
- Ina Garten @ Food Network Lemon Bars
- Etta Soucy @ Taste of Home Lemon Bar Recipe
- Dib’s @ Food.com Lemon Bar Recipe
Desserts Bursting with Lemon Sunshine!
- Lemon Layered Pudding Cheesecake Bars
- Soft Lemon & Blueberry Explosion Cookies
- Luscious Lemon Chiffon Pie
- Lemon Blueberry Explosion Loaf
- White Chocolate Chip Lemon Cookies
- Super Soft Lemon Glazed Sugar Cookies
- Lemon Limoncello Cake Loaf
Best Lemon Bars
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch or two of salt
Lemon Curd Filling
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup lemon juice or 3 large lemons squeezed
- Optional: 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set aside an 8x8 pan sprayed with cooking spray. You can also line with parchment or tin foil and spray with cooking spray.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy, about 2-3 minutes on high.Add flour and salt and mix until the dough comes together.Press evenly into the prepared sheet pan, building up a ½-inch edge on all sides and bake until it just starts to turn golden brown, 15-20 minutes.
Lemon Curd Filling
- While the crust is baking, in another bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour.
- Pour lemon curd filling over the crust and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the filling is set by touching top of bars and not jiggly.
- Let cool to room temperature.and dust with powdered sugar.
- Cut lemon bars into squares or triangles and dust tops with powdered sugar. Addictive!!!
Recipe from Ina Garten