Grab a fork and dig into this luscious Sour Cherry Cobbler Coffee Cake!
Pssst...I'm infatuated with yummy coffee cakes. Are you like me? Drawn in like a butterfly to the flame?
And I was thinking...who isn't happy when they hear someone has coffee cake and they offer to share it with you? It's like the best thing ever and kick-starts the day off on a happy note for sure. Happy Day -- Woohoo!
So, pour yourself a cup of ambition or as some would say "coffee"...although you won't need much ambition at this point and get ready to indulge...
Remember what I said about grabbing a fork? Enjoy savoring just the right balance of the red tart cherries, resembling cherry cobbler inside of this freshly baked coffee cake and topped with a buttery, cinnamon crumb topping and a vanilla creme glaze.
Perfect sweet and sour fruity brunch or breakfast sweet side and of course there's snacking time and tea-time!
If you love sweet and sour desserts, may I suggest this Red Tart Cherry Crumble Pie, this OMG Apple Crumb Cream Cheese Coffee Cake, these Best Lemon Bars and this Awesome Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Bars.
Feel free to substitute any fresh or frozen fruit, with something more seasonable or convenient for you, if cherries aren't your thing or you don't have them on hand, but you want to make it now! or sooner than later!
So worth it!!
I personally like to use frozen cherries or berries a lot of times, because you get the excess cherry juice after they have thawed, and you don't get that from fresh fruit, unless you macerate them or cook them down, which is an additional step if you want juice.
You can use the the cherry juice to incorporate into sauces, syrups, glazes, flavoring and frostings, etc. Check out Williams Sonoma's "All About Cherries" article for more information about selecting, storing and preparing them and Choosecherries.com too.
But depending on the recipe, sometimes I prefer fresh berries, but either one will work for this coffee cake!
Summery, delightful, delicious Sour Cherry Cobbler Coffee Cake! Microwave it for 20 seconds to get it right out of the oven bakery fresh. The flavor is amazing. To take it over the top for after dinner, add some whipped cream or a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream. YUM!
Sour Cherry Cobbler Coffee Cake
Streusel Crumb Topping:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup unsalted butter
Sour Cherry Coffee Cake:
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup canola oil of oil of choice
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 & ¾ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen sour cherries add 1 tablespoon flour/1 tablespoon sugar to coat cherries, if cherries are fresh, rinse and then coat in flour/sugar mixture before adding to cake
Vanilla Creme Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 3 teaspoons almond milk or milk of choice or cherry juice for Cherry Creme Glaze.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9x9 baking pan with non-stick spray or line with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray for easy removal. Set aside.
- Streusel Crumb Topping:
- In a medium bowl, using a pastry cutter, cut through the sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter until you get small, coarse crumbs. You can also use a food processor. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, oil, Greek yogurt, sugar, lemon juice: optional and mix together well with a whisk.
- Add the flour, baking powder salt to the wet mixture and continue whisking until just combined.
- Add 1 tablespoon flour/1 tablespoon sugar to coat cherries, if cherries are fresh, rinse and then coat in flour/sugar mixture before adding to cake).
- Add to cake batter and fold in cherries about 3-4 times. Too much folding will over-mix cherries into batter.
- Transfer cake batter to prepared baking pan and sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly on top of the cake.
- Transfer to oven for 44-55 minutes, check for done-ness.
- Glaze if desired. Mix together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla and drizzle over cake after it's cooled.
- Cake is awesome warmed up in the microwave for 20 seconds or so. Heavenly!