This old-fashioned Very Berry Biscuit Cobbler is one of the most comforting desserts for summertime! Bring on the sweet and tart, juicy berries baked with the easiest, homemade biscuit dough OK? It’s the ultimate easy traditional dessert that brings everyone to the table!
This cobbler is absolutely dreamy warm right out of the oven, but can also be served at room temperature. We love it for breakfast too! I am guilty of having it for my meal. #notsorry as they say.
What I love about this recipe is, you don't have to cook and simmer the berries beforehand and the biscuit dough is super easy to make. Within 15-20 minutes, you can have this classic popped into the oven and baking away!
This iconic Easy Very Berry Biscuit Cobbler takes an hour to bake, so while it's baking, you can get back to your favorite soap operas and let it do it's thing!
Using fresh or frozen berries?
That is the question! We used frozen blackberries, blueberries and strawberries for our berry combination. I got them fresh at the farmer's market and froze them until I was ready to use them. But of course, this cobbler is so adaptable, so you could use peaches, rhubarb, cherries, raspberries, etc., as well, so you are good to go with any combination!
Once it's done, serve it with some milk, ice cream or whipped topping for an extra special delight. You can definitely make it ahead of time for any occasion and reheat it in the microwave when you're ready to indulge or serve it to your friends and family.
We made this Easy Very Berry Biscuit Cobbler in an 8x8 pan and it's 9 servings, unless you wanna double up, because we cannot help big servings when it comes to this cobbler! It's perfect for a small family. Just double the recipe in a 9x13 pan if you got a lot more mouths to feed! Enjoy!!
Other cobbler ideas?
Very Berry Biscuit Cobbler
- 4 ½ to 5 cups fresh berries of choice cleaned and sliced if needed (we used blackberries, blueberries and strawberries)
- optional: 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cold butter diced
- ½ cup half & half heavy cream, buttermilk or any milk of choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, toss berries with lemon zest and juice, cornstarch, vanilla, and sugar and transfer to baking pan spreading out evenly.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, powdered sugar, baking powder, and salt. Use a food processor or a pastry cutter to cut in butter until it resembles a course meal.
- Pour in half and half (or preferred liquid) and stir to form a thick batter, but don't overmix.
- Scoop the batter on top of the berries to form cobbler on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.