Red Tart Cherry Crumble Pie is generously loaded with tart cherry pie filling and is yummily enhanced with what is bound to be everyone’s favorite thing about this pie, the thick buttery crumble topping! Yessss!
Sour or red tart cherries have always been a favorite of our family from when I was a kid. My mom used to make the best of sour cherries with Bisquick dumplings she made over the stove-top. Super easy and so comforting. It was always served still hot with a little milk added to cool off a bit and it was heavenly.
And cherry pie…oh yes! Cherry Pie is such a favorite, we cannot leave it out to use red tart cherries!
The sweetness of the brown sugar crumble with the tart cherries and the flaky pie crust is so scrumptious. It’s impossible to stop at one slice.
Go for decadence and top it with a scoop of cinnamon ice cream and you have a very fall-worthy dessert!
This is really wonderful for all occasions, of course. Isn’t every dessert? LOL
But, you know Thanksgiving and Christmas is coming up, like BAM! It will be here before you know it and this would be a really wonderful pie to serve.
Did you know?
You could use your favorite cherry pie filling you buy at the store or maybe some you canned instead of making this filling, if that’s more convenient. But those sour cherries! (These were frozen ones I thawed and drained, but you can also get the canned red tart cherries like these.
You could also mix all the ingredients for the sour cherry pie filling, WITHOUT cooking it over the stove. You can add it directly into the pie crust, BUT if you do, use a blind baked pie crust, so you don’t get a soggy pie crust. Here’s how to blind bake if you go that route here. (It’s basically baking your crust for 15 minutes before actually baking the pie with all the ingredients.)
For other pie crust tips, go here!
If you are a huge fan of cherry desserts, this goes perfectly with a cup of coffee or your afternoon tea. Can you just imagine it? Red Tart Cherry Crumble Pie is calling your name!!
More pie ideas? Here’s 21 Dreamy Cream Pies To Go Ga-Ga Over!
Red Tart Cherry Crumble Streusel Pie
Cherry Pie Filling:
- 5 cups fresh or frozen sour cherries, pitted if using canned, 3 cans cherries, drained, 14.5 ounces each
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 tablespoon almond extract optional
9 inch Pie Crust - deep dish, store-bought, thawed or your favorite Pie crust, prepared, ready to bake
Crumble Streusel Topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup oats old-fashioned, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts optional
Tart Cherry Filling:
- Place cherries in medium saucepan and place over heat. Cover.
- After the cherries lose considerable juice, which may take a few minutes, remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar and cornstarch together.
- Pour sugar-cornstarch mixture over cherries and cook over low heat until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Let cool completely, cover and refrigerate until ready to use,
Crumble Streusel Topping:
- Whisk the flour, sugar and salt (oats can be added in, optional) together in a medium bowl or food processor. Add the butter, and rub it into the flour mixture with your fingers until it has been absorbed or pulse in food processor for 2-4 short pulses. Mix in the walnuts.
- Preheat to 350°F.
- Place pie crust on lined baking sheet.
- Add filling to pie crust.
- Add crumble streusel topping on top of cherry filling.
- Bake until the topping is lightly browned and the cherry filling is bubbling, 40 - 50 minutes. Let cool for 2 hour before serving.