When you see strawberries and rhubarb on the dessert menu, it's a sure sign summer is here. This quick, easy and very popular recipe is wonderful for summer picnics and gatherings.
I've read somewhere that these scrumptious Awesome Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Bars won a Pennsylvania State Fair Butter Cookie Contest and it's no wonder with the mouth-watering sweet and tart flavors of strawberry and rhubarb pie flavor baked with a yummy oatmeal crust. I'm sorry I don't know who to credit here, but...
*Promising you won't stop at one.*
The flavor combinations are unbeatable. Really!
Some people turn their noses up at rhubarb, and it's no wonder. It's super sour and not eatable by itself, unless you like that kind of taste?
But when you add some sugar and strawberries to the rhubarb and cook them down over the stove, it changes the taste completely and it's pretty awesome.
That's why they're called Awesome Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Bars! I think they should be called Freaking Awesome Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Bars...hmmm. 🙂 Rethinking? 🙂
If you love fruity desserts, you'll love these too!
Awesome Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Bars
Strawberry Rhubarb Filling
- 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen unsweetened rhubarb I used Dole frozen rhubarb, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 ½ cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups uncooked quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup butter softened
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Combine rhubarb, strawberries and lemon juice in 2-quart saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 8-12 minutes or until fruit is tender.
- Combine ½ cup sugar and cornstarch in bowl and stir into fruit mixture.
- Continue cooking, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until mixture comes to a boil.
- Continue boiling 1 minute or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all crust ingredients in bowl.
- Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Reserve 1 ½ cups crumb mixture.
- Press remaining crumb mixture onto bottom of greased 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Spread strawberry rhubarb filling over crust.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool completely and cut into bars.