Sweet, juicy blueberries are bursting right out of these lemon cheesecake shortbread bars! What a perfect combination when you want a delicious lemon bar dessert representing blueberries and cheesecake!
These bars are so blissful, hence the name "Blueberry Lemon Bliss Cheesecake Bars"!
What is blue, sweet and juicy and is a rich, anti-oxidant super food for your brain? Did you guess Blueberries? Perfect! 🙂
Blueberries are high in vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidants called flavonoids. Flavonoids interact with proteins and enzymes in ways that keep your brain younger. Scientists are still trying to figure it all out, but research shows blueberry flavonoids do seem to keep you smarter.
People who eat a high-flavonoid diet stay sharper than folks with low-flavonoid diets. So, eating blueberries or drinking blueberry juice daily can improve your memory function by 30%.
How do you like those apples? I mean blueberries! 🙂
We've established some awesome benefits from blueberries, and we definitely already know they taste great frozen, blended in a smoothie, by themselves, in a tart or pie, cobbler and of course undoubtedly, wickedly good with cheesecake. These are no exceptions!
The blueberries in these bars are simmered briefly on the stove with a little brown sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest and swirled into the lemon cheesecake filling on top of a lemon shortbread crust.
Tart, sweet and creamy- what a combination! Too die for!
Other Blueberry recipes on the blog that might tickle your fancy!
Blueberries are in season, so you won't want to miss the boat and make these blueberry burstin' bars. Enjoy!!
Blueberry Lemon Bliss Cheesecake Bars
- 1 ¼ cup butter room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups blueberries fresh
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 8 oz . packages cream cheese room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Additional berries on top of bars sprinkle randomly ¼ - ½ cup.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray with non-stick spray or line a 9 x 13 pan with parchment paper.
- Combine 1 tablespoon lemon zest with ½ cup granulated sugar and using fingers, rub the zest into the sugar to infuse the sugar with lemon.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar and lemon zest on medium speed until well incorporated and creamy.
- Beat in flour and salt until combined.
- Press shortbread dough into bottom of prepared pan and bake until edges are golden, 25-30 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine blueberries with brown sugar, 2 tablespoons lemon zest, and lemon juice and cook over medium heat, until berries are just soft, 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After berries are soft, set aside to cool.
- Combine 1 tablespoon lemon juice with ½ cup sugar and using fingers or fork, mix together to infuse the sugar with lemon.
- Beat cream cheese with the sugar/lemon mixture and vanilla in a large bowl on medium speed until smooth.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, until incorporated.
Putting it all together
- Dollop cream cheese mixture onto warm crust and spread to make an even layer.
- Dollop blueberry mixture over top of cream cheese layer and gently use a knife tip through the top to create some random swirls.
- Optional: Sprinkle blueberries on top.
- Bake in oven until filling is set, 35-40 minutes.
- Let cool and cut into bars, if you can wait that long. 🙂