These heavenly Blueberry & Cream Crumble Bars have everything going for them.
So easy to make and it begins with using a vanilla cake mix, with the addition of blueberries and cream cheese to make these totally “OK” for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacking, right?
They are one of the world’s healthiest foods, and one of the newest, exciting new evidence about blueberries, is that blueberries can improve memory.
Trust me…I need these like a Chocoholic needs their chocolate. (And we all know, I’m a self-proclaimed Chocoholic…really??) I know as we get older, we start forgetting things, more and more.
So, I relate to to this lady here…
Thank goodness for blueberries now! (Needed them so many years ago though!)
Sorry, back to talking about these Blueberry & Cream Crumble Bars. 🙂 Focus…Focus…ok back on track!
The cake mix is used to make a cookie base and cookie crumbles on top.
The blueberries and the cream cheese mixture is sandwiched in between making these bars scrumptious and bursting with blueberry goodness with every bite. Who doesn’t like blueberries and cream cheese? They are the ‘IT’ couple you don’t want to break up EVER!
I got the recipe from Shelly at Cookies & Cups. She is a sugar addict like me, so we have definitely have something in common. I only did a small modification to the recipe and added some lemon juice to the cream cheese mixture.
Feel free to substitute other fruit, drizzle white chocolate on top, or if you are real adventurous, try other cake mix flavors.
Here’s the recipe!
Blueberry & Cream Crumble Bars
- 1 box vanilla cake mix 18.25 oz, 1 lb
- 1/3 cup butter room temperature
- 2 eggs divided
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Optional: 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray, or line with foil and spray foil to easily take bars out of pan to cut squares.
- In large bowl, combine butter, one egg and cake mix. Mixture will be very stiff, so you might opt to use your hands (which I did.)
- Reserve 1 cup of cake mixture for crumble topping, set aside.
- Press the remaining cake mixture in the bottom of the pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- While crust is baking, in a mixing bowl using mixer, beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, lemon juice and remaining egg until smooth.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over top the partially baked crust.
- Evenly arrange the blueberries over the cream cheese mixture and the sprinkle with remaining crumbles.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until center is set and crumbles on top turn golden brown.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Chill approximately 30 minutes before serving.
Blueberry Dreamin’? If so, here’s some more where that came from!