It feels like Spring! Who’s ready to celebrate?
We could with Kick-Ass Lemon Cream Cheese Blondies!
I got so excited, I added some fancy, kick-ass sprinkles to commemorate the occasion with you just to get this party started. Don’t they look like they need a bite taken out? Oops…too late! The party has begun!
You’ll love the lemon and cream cheese balance in these blondies. They are baked slightly chewy, then topped with a layer of luscious lemony glaze. They remind me of Walking on Sunshine. 🙂
If you are a blondie fan, I highly recommend these Disappearing Reese & Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Blondies and these Chunky Monkey Peanut Butter Cup Banana Blondies too.
Here’s 10 Over-The-Top Blondies That Will Make Your Head Spin for the blondie extraordinaire.
I adapted this recipe from this cookbook, Extreme Brownies by Connie Weis. She used mascarpone, which you can too if you want to switch it out with the cream cheese.
If you’re ready for some yummy lemon treats to kick-start your spring and summer months, Kick-Ass Lemon Cream Cheese Blondies are the ticket!
Want some more lemon in your life?
Kick-Ass Lemon Cream Cheese Blondies
Lemon Cream Cheese Blondies
- Vegetable shortening and 2 teaspoons flour for 9x13 pan
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 lemons large @ room temp
- 2 eggs large @ room temp
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 cup lemon juice fresh
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Tart Lemon Glaze
- 2 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon aguave or light corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare pan by lining pan with heavy tin foil, then lightly grease and dust pan with flour on sides and bottom of pan. Knock out any access flour and dispose of.
- Cut the butter into 1 inch slices and place butter and cream cheese in a heavy sauce pan and cook over very low heat, whisking occasionally until melted. Turn heat off and leave saucepan on burner.
- Grate zest from 4 lemons and place sugar and lemon zest into food processor until zest has broken down, about 10 seconds.
- Using a large mixing bowl, add eggs and lightly beat, then add in lemon/sugar mixture and lemon juice just until incorporated. Add to butter/cream cheese mixture and blend together.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour, salt baking powder and baking soda together to combine.
- Sift dry ingredient mixture into the large mixing bowl with the wet mixture, then whisk mixture until just combined. (Batter will be lumpy)
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake 32 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and top is lightly browned.
- Transfer pan to cooling rack.
- While blondies are baking, prepare lemon glaze, sift the confectioners' sugar into a small mixing bowl.
- Zest remaining lemons onto sugar using a grater. Extract lemons to get 3 tablespoons, then add into sugar, along with the lemon extract and aguave syrup and use small silicone spatula until smooth.
- Pour onto of hot blondies, then spread evenly.
- Let blondies sit at room temp for 30 minutes, the refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Refrigerate overnight if possible.