As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read the full disclosure here.
Are you looking for the ultimate homemade whipped cream recipe? This fluffy and delicious treat is sure to be a crowd-pleaser, and it’s so easy to make! Keep reading to learn the step-by-step instructions for making the perfect whipped cream every time.
Whether it’s topping your favorite pie, jazzing up a hot chocolate, or just being spooned straight from the bowl (we don’t judge here!), whipped cream is the crown jewel of desserts.
Welcome to my cozy corner of the internet, fellow sweet-toothed foodies! Today, we’re diving into a classic that’s as fluffy as a cloud and as versatile as your culinary dreams allow – the ultimate homemade whipped cream.
Preparing your own homemade whipped cream is a cinch and it’s sure to be a hit with all your family and friends. With just a few simple ingredients and some careful follow-through, you’ll be able to make this fluffy and delicious treat with ease.
More light and fluffy desserts? Check out our Red Velvet Cake Trifle, Holiday White Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake Mousse Pie and this luscious Cookies and Cream Mousse – 3 Ingredients!
Why Homemade Whipped Cream?
Sure, you can grab a can from the store, but where’s the fun in that? Making your own whipped cream isn’t just about the taste (which, by the way, is miles ahead of the canned stuff), it’s about the joy of creating something delightful from scratch. Plus, it’s easier than you think and way better than the store-bought stuff!
Ingredients You Need
Easy Homemade Whipped Cream Recipe (Better than Cool Whip)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (chill it in the fridge for at least an hour before use)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional, but highly recommended)
Step-by-Step Guide for Easy Homemade Whipped Cream Recipe
1. Chill Your Tools: First things first, make sure your mixing bowl and beaters are cold. Pop them in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes before you start. This little trick is a game-changer for getting those perfect peaks. Make sure your utensils are free from grease as well.
2. Pour and Beat: Pour the cold heavy cream and powdered sugar into your chilled bowl. Start beating on low speed, then gradually increase to medium-high. You’re looking for the homemade whipped cream to thicken and start forming soft peaks. This usually takes about 4-5 minutes, but keep an eye on it. (You can also add the powdered sugar after you have the soft peaks, I’ve done it both ways.)
3. Sweeten the Deal: Once you’ve got soft peaks, it’s time to add the vanilla extract. Continue to beat until you reach stiff peaks. Remember, we’re not making butter here, so once you see those stiff peaks form, stop beating.
4. Serve or Store: Use it right away, or store it in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Just give it a quick whisk before using to fluff it back up.
Tips for Perfect Homemade Whipped Cream
- Don’t Overbeat: It’s crucial when making homemade whipped cream to stop beating once you reach stiff peaks to avoid turning your cream into butter.
- Experiment with Flavors: Feel free to add different extracts, a little vanilla bean paste, spices, a little cocoa powder, maple syrup or caramel sauce or even a splash of liquor for a grown-up twist. You can even add whipped cream cheese to this to make a cream cheese whipped cream!
- Sweetness to Your Liking: Adjust the amount of sugar based on your preference. Some like it sweet; others prefer the natural richness of the cream to shine.
Frequently Asked Questions for Homemade Whipped Cream
Q: Can I make homemade whipped cream without a mixer? A: Yes, you can! While it takes more effort, you can use a whisk. Just be prepared for a good arm workout. The key is to whisk vigorously to incorporate air into the cream.
Q: How long does homemade whipped cream last in the fridge? A: Homemade whipped cream can be stored in the fridge for up to 24 hours. After that, it may start to lose its texture. Just give it a quick whisk before using to refresh it.
Q: Can I use granulated sugar instead of powdered sugar? A: Yes, but powdered sugar is recommended because it dissolves more easily. If you use granulated sugar, make sure it’s well integrated to avoid a gritty texture.
Q: Is it possible to make dairy-free whipped cream? A: Absolutely! You can use coconut cream as a dairy-free alternative. Chill a can of full-fat coconut milk, scoop out the solid part, and whip it just like regular cream.
Q: How do I know when I’ve reached the perfect peak stage? A: Soft peaks gently fold over when you lift the beaters, and stiff peaks stand upright. Be careful not to overbeat, as it can quickly turn to butter.
Q: What can I Use whipped cream on? A: So many options, but how about waffles, pancakes, French toast, chocolate cake, apple pie, pumpkin pie, and on top of berries or strawberry shortcake! Also use it in layered desserts and trifles!
Homemade whipped cream is like a little bowl of happiness. It’s simple, it’s elegant, and it’s the perfect way to add a touch of homemade love to any dessert. So, next time you’re in the kitchen, give this homemade whipped cream recipe a whirl! Trust me, your desserts (and your taste buds) will thank you.
Perfect for the holidays when you want fresh homemade whipped cream to top your desserts, layering in trifles and layered desserts and more! 5 minutes and you’ve got some good chilled whipped cream!
More Helpful Ideas!
- The Ultimate Graham Cracker Crust – 3 Ingredients
- Delicious & Easy Oreo Pie Crust Recipe
- Conversion Charts & Kitchen Tips
- 5 Expert Tips How to Tell Your Cake Is Done
- Quickest Ways to Soften Butter
- Freezing & Thawing Bananas
- The Ultimate Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- Valentine Cupcakes with Brach’s Candies
Ultimate Homemade Whipped Cream - Your Go-To Guide for Perfect Peaks Every Time
Easy Homemade Whipped Cream Recipe
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream chill it in the fridge for at least an hour before use
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract optional, but highly recommended
Step-by-Step Guide for Easy Whipped Cream Recipe
- Helpful Tip: First things first, make sure your bowl and beaters are cold and clean from grease. Pop them in the fridge for about 15 minutes before you start. This little trick is a game-changer for getting those perfect peaks.
- Pour the cold heavy cream and powdered sugar into your chilled bowl. Start beating on low speed, then gradually increase to medium-high. You're looking for the homemade whipped cream to thicken and start forming soft peaks. This usually takes about 4-5 minutes, but keep an eye on it. (You can also add the powdered sugar after you have the soft peaks, I've done it both ways, no issues.)
- Once you've got soft peaks, it's time to add the vanilla extract. Continue to beat until you reach stiff peaks. Remember, we're not making butter here, so once you see those stiff peaks form, stop beating.
- Use it right away, or store it in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Just give it a quick whisk before using to fluff it back up.