These 'out-of-this-world' super moist red velvet cake donuts are smothered with a dreamy cream cheese frosting. Perfect for Valentine's day! Give me dreamy cream cheese frosting and red velvet donuts as a pair and I'm ALL lovey dovey up in here. I've got a major crush on these Red Velvet Cake Donuts with Cream Cheese Frosting (Of course)!
Red Velvet. Doesn't 'Red Velvet' just sound aphrodisiac and alluring? It's tempts me. So, I must partake...I am weak.
I'm obsessed with the rich, dark red color of these donuts and did you know? Chocolate is one of the main ingredients in red velvet cake.
BTW...these donuts are wonderful without the frosting, because they are super moist and yummy! But, man, oh man...you have to try them with the cream cheese frosting though.
ha! It will make your eyes roll back in your head. You might even get the head spins like that one girl from the Exorcist. Good God Gertie! If that happens, you never heard of me. Ok? OK!
Have a Red Velvet Obsession? You might want to devour some of these!
Red Velvet Cake Donuts with Cream Cheese Frosting need to be on your menu. They are delicious and you need them in your life. Here's the recipe!
Red Velvet Cake Donuts with Cream Cheese Frosting (Of course)
Red Velvet Cake Donuts
- 2 ⅔ cup Red Velvet dry cake mix
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 2 eggs
Use a Tub of Cream Cheese Frosting or
- 4 ounces unsalted butter softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Red Velvet Donuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a donut pan &/or mini muffin pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add dry cake mix, buttermilk, canola oil, & eggs and stir together until mixed well.
- Spoon mixture into a piping bag or a zippered plastic bag with the corner cut off.
- Pipe into greased donut pan and fill the donut or mini muffin cups approximately ⅔ full.
- Bake for approximately 11-14 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and donuts and holes are set in the center.
- Let cool in the pan for a few minutes, then run a knife around the edges of each donut to pop out of pan.
- Place on a cooling rack to cool.
If using already prepared frosting from the tub
- If frosting needs softened, heat frosting in microwave for 10-15 seconds (feel free to add a little milk or water for different consistencies).
If you are making the frosting
- Using a mixer, in a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Using a spoon, dollop frosting on donuts, cover with sprinkles, icing drizzles, or chocolate chips.