Summertime is around the corner and I’m thinking peaches!
So I baked a Heavenly Peach Greek Yogurt Cake and all I could say was “Hello Gorgeous Peach Dessert, Come to Mama“!! Incredible!! Don’t you just love peach desserts and summer?
This peach cake is made from scratch. I must be getting finicky, because I am loving making cakes, brownies and cookies the old-fashioned way, home-made from scratch even more.
Don’t get me wrong, I use the mixes for shortcuts, but the flavor just seems to be sooooo much better when it’s home-made. Probably because of all the love I put into it, right?
This cake is Ina Garten’s recipe, with the exception of Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and I added a little extra cinnamon. The Greek yogurt helps make the cake moist, healthy and adds protein.
The peaches are sweet and juicy!
- Peaches are a very rich source of multivitamins and minerals.
- They have vitamins A, C, E, and K and seven minerals — calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, zinc, manganese and phosphorus.
- Peaches are also a good source of antioxidants and fiber.
- It’s a toxin cleanser, helps with weight control.
- It’s a great source of Vitamin C which is widely used for skin care. (You can get plenty of Vitamin C from one large peach.)
- Apart from health benefits, you can directly use peaches for skin care such dark circles and wrinkles.
(So, I think I’ll be movin’ to the country, gonna eat me a lot of peaches. :D)
The best time to buy peaches is in the summer, when they are in the peak of their season. That’s when they have the best flavor, freshness and nutrition.
Choose peaches with taut, peach-fuzzy skin that gives in slightly when pressed.
For ripening peaches, place them in a paper bag or near a window that has lots of sunshine.
You wanna get ‘Peachy’ with it?
Try making this Heavenly Peach Greek Yogurt Cake! The peach color is so pretty in this cake. It’s delicious and could soon be your new family favorite for breakfast, snacking or dessert time.
(“Millions of peaches, peaches for me, Millions of peaches, peaches for free!”)
Heavenly Greek Yogurt Peach Cake
- 1 stick butter room temperature
- 1½ cup sugar divided
- 2 extra-large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 large ripe or frozen peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch baking pan or spring-form pan.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and 1 cup of the sugar for 3 to 5 minutes on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing on low, then the Greek yogurt and vanilla, and mix until the batter is smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet batter and mix just until just incorporated.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining ½ cup sugar and the cinnamon.
- Spread half of the batter evenly in the pan, using a spoon or knife.
- Top with half of the peaches, then sprinkle with two-thirds of the sugar mixture.
- Spread the remaining batter on top, adding the remaining peaches on top, and sprinkle with the remaining sugar mixture.
- Bake the cake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Other cakes that’ll knock your socks off: