Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake is a wonderful way to start off the day, any day of the week! It’s delicious, light, yet dense and amazing, amazing!
You know how I love to use Greek yogurt while I’m baking and I’ve done it again. I just love the way Greek yogurt keeps cakes and breads super moist. It also adds a slight tang, enhances all the flavors and makes the cake taste richer than it really is. Plus, when I use Greek yogurt, I can reduce the butter in this recipe, making it healthier!
The fresh, juicy strawberries add a nice sweet, tart bite and combined together, it’s the perfect combination for breakfast, brunch or snacking.
It’s not an overly sweet cake. So, it has a little sweetness, a little tartness…and it’s super yummy! It’s fairly simple to make and it’s a beautiful presentation when it’s done baking. I could totally see this light yogurt cake at a bed and breakfast, can’t you?
If you have guests coming into town and you want to impress, but not put a lot of work into it, this is a great cake to bake up the day before or the day of.
Also wonderful for Mother’s Day, 4th of July and Valentine’s Day – because of those red berries and who doesn’t love cake?! Serve it with powdered sugar or a dollop of whipped cream. Yum!
If you love yogurt cake-like desserts, you’ll probably want to check out this Heavenly Peach Greek Yogurt Cake, Quick & Easy Lemon Strawberry Yogurt Pound Cake, this Yogurt Vanilla Greek Yogurt & Olive Oil Pound Cake and this “Bisquick” Chocolate Cinnamon Greek Yogurt Banana Coffee Cake!
Fresh Strawberry Yogurt Cake
- 1 1/4 cup Greek yogurt I used Oikos® Triple Zero
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 cup honey maple syrup or sugar (I used honey)
- 3 tablespoons butter melted and cooled slightly
- 1 tsp vanilla or vanilla bean paste I used vanilla bean paste, Nielsen-Massey
- 1 1/4 cup flour all-purpose (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup fresh strawberries sliced
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9 or 10" iron cast skillet or baking pan by rubbing with butter.
- In a medium size bowl, add beaten egg, yogurt, honey or maple syrup, vanilla and cooled butter together and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Pour all dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients and mix together until lumps are out, but do not overmix.
- Mix in 1/2 of strawberries and pour into prepared pan, then top with remainder of strawberries and place in oven.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until middle has risen. Use cake tester or touch with finger for doneness.
- After cake has cooled, sift powdered sugar on top.
If you want this to be more cake-like, reduce the strawberries by only placing on top. The strawberries on the inside the cake will retain more moisture, so it will be more dense.
Recipe adapted from: Making Healthy Choices