What could be more enamoring than bringing in the New Year than this "Better Than Sex" Trifle Dessert? And don't you forget the champagne! We're celebrating 2020 in a big way!
Of course, this dessert has a double dubious message, if ya get my drift, so feel free to substitute the word 'sex' for any noun you wish, if you want to keep it PG Rated. That way it's not an awkward session, when someone asks what it's called and you can be also prepared in advance. 😉
Or just do the sorry, not sorry phase and just wreck-lessly, slay into all those luscious layers of dark chocolate cake drenched in gooey sweetened condensed milk, salted caramel sauce, buttery Heath toffee bits and tons of fluffy whipped cream.
OH GOD...now you understand why this title is what it is? It's even been called Robert Redford Dessert or Chocolate Dream Layer Dessert. I'm sure you've probably even had this at one time in your life, and it's a classic beloved retro dessert, which I love, so this trifle is more of a modern spin on the Sex in a Pan Cake version.
So hard to resist this sinful temptation...
Feeds a crowd for any occasion. Makes everyone happy & satisfied, but it's so addicting, you might have to give in and go another round! Let's toast to the New Year & party!
Love the Retro Desserts?
Better Than Sex Trifle Dessert
Chocolate Sheet Cake or 1 Chocolate Cake Mix + Ingredients for 9x13 sheet pan
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup water
- Optional: 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour like Bob’s Red Mill
- 1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup buttermilk or milk of choice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Sweetened Condensed Milk Layer
- 1 14 oz Sweetened Condensed Milk
Home-made Salted Caramel Sauce or use Pre-made one jar of Salted Caramel Sauce
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 12 Tbsp unsalted butter room temperature, cut in chunks
- 1 cup heavy cream room temperature
- 1 tablespoon flaky sea salt
- 16-20 oz whipped cream or 4-5 cups heavy whipping cream + ½ cup powdered sugar - recipe below
Heath Bar Layer:
- 3-5 Heath Bars cut into chunks and small bits or use 10-15 mini Heath Bars
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
Chocolate Sheet Cake or 1 Chocolate Cake Mix + Ingredients for 9x13 sheet pan prepared as directed on package.
- Home-made Version: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- Place the butter, cocoa powder, water, and espresso powder in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat stirring until smooth and the cocoa has dissolved. Pour the chocolate mixture over the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Add the buttermilk, vanilla and eggs and whisk until completely combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 22-25 minutes, or until the top of the cake springs back after being gently pressed with a fingertip. Cool slightly and cut into cake one inch squares.
Sweetened Condensed Milk Layer
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the cake and place cake in fridge to prepare the whipped cream and caramel if making from scratch.
Home-made Salted Caramel Sauce or use Pre-made Salted Caramel Sauce
- Place the sugar in a medium sized heavy bottom saucepan. Heat on medium, stirring constantly. The sugar will start to form clumps, then begin to melt. Cook until is it amber in color, then remove from the heat and immediately add all of the butter. Be careful as the caramel will bubble rapidly. Once the butter is incorporated, add the cream and stir well. Stir in the salt, and pour into a glass jar until ready to use.
- To make fresh whipped topping: Add 4-5 heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar and beat on medium for 1 minute. Increase speed to medium high and continue beating until stiff peaks form approx 5 mins in all. Don’t overbeat, or you’ll end up with lumpy butter.
Heath Bar Layer
- Chop up Heath bars, set aside
Ready to assemble
- Time to layer, then layer again...
- Place and layer ½ of drenched sweetened condensed milk chocolate cake cubes into the bottom of trifle bowl.
- Drizzle some salted caramel over cake cubes.
- Sprinkle some Heath Bar bits over caramel/cake cubes.
- Spoon or pipe a whipped cream layer on top of cake cubes, then repeat layers one more time, then pipe a whipped cream border if you wish. Add some more salted caramel sauce and heath bits. The more the merrier!
- Refrigerate overnight or up to 6 hours. Let's Party!