Ultimate Almond Joy Magic Bars for the win! These delicious, gooey magic bars consist of a buttery, shortbread cookie crust, chopped almonds, a rich coconut and sweetened condensed-
These bars have all the classic flavors you love in Almond Joy candy bars, but it's been transformed with a modern twist!
It's a cookie and candy combination sweet treat, that will have all the peeps jumping for joy...like almond JOY! Get it? 🙂
You've probably had these bars sometime in your lifetime. These bars go by a few different names, like 7-Layer Bars, Magic Bars and Hello Dollies, but I’ve always known them as Magic Bars, which I love!
So what makes the 'magic' in these magic bars?
It's the sweetened condensed milk!
It is the magic ingredient, holding everything together, giving this cookie a quality that is like no other you'll find. I love using Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk in desserts. It's always in my pantry and I've used it in this, this and this. 🙂
After my first bite, I was in love with these. They are gooey, creamy, sweet, crunchy, nutty and buttery. The coconut, chocolate and almonds are such a wonderful trifecta and with the sweetened condensed milk and the shortbread crust, it doesn't get much better than this.
Just thinking about them, makes my mouth water. Mmmm-Mmmm Good!
These are really popular for potlucks, bake-sales, picnics and barbeques and if nuts aren't your thing, leave them out! Make them Mounds Magic Bars instead!! 🙂 But give these Ultimate Almond Joy Magic Bars a try!!
OMG S'mores Bars
Peanut Butter Banana Bars
Reese's Pieces Magic Bars
Oatmeal Butterscotch & Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Chocolate Oatmeal Fudge Bars (Gluten Free Option)
Pumpkin Cranberry Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars
Ultimate Almond Joy Magic Bars
For the Crust
- 1 ½ sticks or 12 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
For the Bars
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1½ cups coarsely chopped almonds
- 1½ cups shredded coconut
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, allowing it to hang over all sides.
- Using a mixer, on medium speed, beat the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy a couple of minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Add the flour and mix on low speed until crumbly.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared pan and press into an even layer.
- Bake until the edges are light golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and sprinkle the chopped almonds over the crust, and top with the shredded coconut.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over top, then sprinkle the chocolate chips and return to the oven 20 to 25 minutes, until the edges are light brown .
- Transfer to baking rack and cool completely.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before cutting into squares.
You can also freeze Magic bars, just thaw the cookies for a few hours in the fridge before serving
I think condensed milk makes everything so amazing!! And these bars just look so heavenly and decadent with all the good things I love!
Hi Agness! I haven't tried it but I think you could make your own sweetened condensed milk with coconut milk. Here's one I found online how to make it. https://detoxinista.com/sweetened-condensed-coconut-milk/.
Agness of Run Agness Run says
Yum! These bars are the ultimate dessert recipe, Kim! Can I use coconut milk instead of condensed milk when preparing this recipe?
Katherine | Love In My Oven says
Sweetened condensed milk really is magic. That stuff is pure gold!! I would have a hard time stopping at just one of these bars. They look so good Kim!!!
Yes Maria! Same here and delicious!!!!
Years ago we called this "Magic Bars" yes delicious.
Kelly @ Kelly Lynns Sweets and Treats says
I love magic bars and I love how your twist on the classic, by turning them into almond joy bars! Yum!!
heather (delicious not gorgeous) says
almond joy are the best! i would always swap them at halloween for other things, but now i snatch them right up when i see them (:
Maria | kitchenathoskins says
Sweetened condensed milk holds my heart too:) The flavor of coconut, chocolate and almond is irresistible and all those in a bar form is truly ultimate!!! This would be a perfect lunch box treat too.