For Halloween, here's a devilish, Vanishing Black Cocoa Brownies recipe that will quickly vanish right before your eyes and all those goblins, vampires and zombies lurking about, will wanna get in on the action too! Scarfing down these brownies are thrilling because they're topped with a peanut butter frosting with Reese's Pieces and chocolate chips! That is until they're gone! Umm...Whaaa??? That's frightful!!
The good thing is, you can make them over and over and over...till death do you part!
Ahhhh! I know that sounds a little morbid, but we're coming up on Halloween, my favorite holiday and we have to have a little spooky fun here, ya know? So were-wolf with me, k?
Black rich cocoa will make the darkest chocolate cake or cookies you've ever seen.
I used King Arthur's Black Cocoa and Dutch Cocoa in these brownies, which by the way are very moist, yet cake-like and the texture is amazing. If you've never used black cocoa give it try! Black cocoa is a super-dark Dutch-process cocoa. It gives your chocolate treats an intense, deep chocolate color and is ultra-rich in flavor, so you don't need to use as much.
That's why these are perfect for Halloween, right? By the way, besides the deep dark chocolate components, these brownies were made with whole wheat flour, bananas, and peanut butter. So therefore, we are healthy-ish, up until we add the creamy peanut butter frosting, chopped Reese's Pieces and mini chocolate chip cookies.
Sounds like a well-balanced compromise to me! Dark chocolate and peanut butter together make me happy!
These Vanishing Black Cocoa Brownies will vanish before you know it! Enjoy! Bring these to the parties, office, birthday celebrations and the closet! The closet?? LOL! I'm a hoarder of chocolate, what can I say? And now it seems peanut butter has always been following suit!
More Chocolate and Peanut Butter Dreams!
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Peanut Butter Cup Chocolate Cookies
- Delish Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
- Home-Made Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs
- Peanut Butter Stuffed Brownies
- Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Chocolate Pie - It's Phenomenal!
Vanishing Black Cocoa Brownies
Black Cocoa Brownies
- 2 bananas ripe
- ¾ cup canola oil or coconut oil melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or all purpose I used whole wheat
- ¾ cup granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- ½ cup black cocoa powder sifted if lumpy (I used King Arthur's Black Cocoa)
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted if lumpy (I used King Arthur's Dutch)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 1 ½ cups confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Pinch or two of salt
- ½ cup melted peanut butter
- ½ cup melted milk chocolate
- Reese's Pieces chopped
- Mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x9 baking pan with non-stick spray.
- Using mixer, beat bananas until pureed.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients, and whisk together for about a minute or two on medium speed.
- Pour into prepared 9x9 baking pan and bake until the center has firmed, about 30-35 minutes.
- After the brownies have cooled, prepare frosting or melted peanut butter/chocolate drizzles.
Peanut Butter Frosting
- Using mixer, beat butter, peanut butter, vanilla, cream and salt together until well mixed. Add confectioners sugar and beat well until smooth and creamy. Frost brownies with a spatula knife>
- Sprinkle chocolate chips and chopped Reese's Pieces on top. Cut and serve.
- Drizzle melted chocolate and peanut butter all over the brownies.
Recipe adapted from: Banana Peanut Butter Cake Brownies @ Olive and Artisan.
Check out Nielsen-Massey and McCrea’s Gift Ideas too!