Strawberry-Raspberry Jell-O Whipped Cheesecake Layered Salad is fruity, creamy and so refreshing. Summer-inspired? Oh yeah!
I think Grandma MacCarty was onto something with this retro Jell-O salad from way back when. Have you heard of Strawberry Jell-O Layered Sour Cream Salad? Well, when she made it, she put a different spin on it and I’m so glad she did.
Sour cream with jello just does not sound good to me, even though a lot of people do like it that way! But I bet they would like Grandma MacCarty’s version better!
The original recipe has 2 firm layers of strawberry Jell-O, mashed bananas, strawberries, pineapple and walnuts mixed all together and has a sour cream middle layer with a little sugar to sweeten it up.
But the updated version of THIS old-school recipe has 2 firm layers of strawberry and raspberry Jell-O mixed, mascerated strawberries, raspberries, mashed bananas and crushed pineapple layered with whipped cream cheese in the middle. Yup…I think THIS sounds wayyyy better!
I guess I should probably tell you now. If you’re wondering who Grandma MacCarthy is, it’s not my grandma, but one of my readers, Doug’s grandma. 🙂
He has such fond memories of her and this Strawberry-Raspberry Jell-O Whipped Cheesecake Layered Salad and this Fluffy Angel Food Cake Delight with Fresh Berries, which initially sparked the inspiration for this Jell-O salad. Grandma MacCarthy would make her angel food cake by mixing strawberries and raspberries with whip cream between the cake layers and then frost it. Sounds pretty yummy!
You should really take this lovely dessert to your next potluck or family reunion. It’s an easy, beautiful dessert to make and assemble and it layers and cuts nicely for serving. I used a large pizza cutter…worked like a charm!
Thank you Doug and Grandma!! What desserts do you remember your Grandma making?
Strawberry-Raspberry Jell-O Whipped Cheesecake Layered Salad
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1 package (3 ounces) raspberry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 7-8 large strawberries , sliced
- 1 quart raspberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 oz . canned pineapple chunks or crushed , with juice
- 1 cup mashed firm bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped walnuts , optional
Whipped Cheesecake Layer
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese , very softened cups
- 1 cup whipped cream , whipped (makes 2 cups) or 8 oz whipped topping in tub
- 1 tablespoon sugar , optional
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- In a microwaveable bowl, add your strawberries, rasberries and pineapple (with juice) and 1 tablespoon sugar and microwave for 2 - 3 minutes. Then mash up all the fruit somewhat with a fork, potato masher or a pastry cutter, but keep it semi chunky. Add mashed bananas and set aside.
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in water. Stir in fruit mixture.
- Pour half of the mixture into a 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- Set the remaining gelatin mixture aside. Combine the cream cheese, whipped cream, vanilla and sugar, optional and whip together using mixer. Spread over the chilled gelatin. Spoon remaining gelatin mixture over top. Chill overnight. Yield: 12-15 servings.