This healthy Mixed Berry Protein Smoothie is packed with nutrients, loaded with sumptuous berries and protein! This is perfect for that person on the go any morning. A smoothie for breakfast helps you get hydrated at the start of the day.
And since your body extracts water from many foods in order to stay hydrated, you won't have to drink water when you're savoring a luscious smoothie (especially a homemade one without sugar). Since milk and yogurt are mostly water, dairy-based smoothies quench your thirst.
Did you know that FAGE greek yogurt has a whopping 22 protein grams and only 80 calories per cup? There is also calcium for bone strength and the smoothie keeps you from indulging in empty carbohydrates. I'm liking this!
If you want more protein you can add a ½ scoop of your favorite protein powder, some chia seeds, coconut oil and/or almonds (p.s. you may have to add a little more almond milk). Take your pick of options!!
And if you want to be real ambitious, add a couple raw egg yolks (I suggest using fresh, organic farm eggs and wash the shells to avoid salmonella). I'm not that ambitious but my husband has done it many times in his protein drinks. So just wondering, would you add in the raw eggs? If so, you are the man or wo-man! Cheers to you!
Here's the recipe and Enjoy!
Healthy Mixed Berry Protein Smoothie
- 1 ½ cups of frozen mixed berries strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries, slightly thawed
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup vanilla FAGE Greek Yogurt or your favorite greek yogurt
- In blender, place yogurt and almond milk. Cover and blend on high speed about 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Next, add half of the berries. Cover and blend on high speed 1 minute. Add the remaining berries. Cover and blend on high speed about 1 minute longer, adding additional milk if necessary, until smooth. Serve immediately.