Ring in the holidays with these divine Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies! It's basically a fudge brownie wrapped around a maraschino cherry, then baked in cookie form to be topped off with some chocolate fudge on top! Gimme a dozen already!
Rudolph's nose looked like a bright red cherry, so besides these being called Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies, they also are called Rudolph Cookies. Significant with that awesome cherry surprise when you bite into them! Ya feel me?
Chocolate and cherry together is one of the best combinations when it comes to dessert faves!
I signed up for 3rd Annual Christmas Cookie Recipe Swap, December 16, 2015 and I received this recipe from Valerie Ott from Home Made Modern.
Our mission for the swap was to bake another blogger's cookie recipe, and this one is a family recipe her mom and she have been making for as long as she can remember. They're a must on their Christmas cookie plate every year!
My son ate a lot of them! He loves chocolate covered cherries anyways, so there was no way he was going to turn these down, plus they look so elegant and fun! Enjoy!
For more Chocolate and cherry faves!
- OMG! Heavenly Cherry Cheesecake Swirl Brownies
- Dark Chocolate Covered Almond & Cherry Clusters
- Chocolate Cherry Pistachio Rocky Road Fudge
- Chocolate Cherry Oreo Dessert
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 4 oz. whole maraschino cherries drained well
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon solid shortening
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Drain the cherries well and let them sit in a sieve while you make the cookie dough.
- Cream together the first 8 ingredients until well-combined.
- Add flour gradually; you may have to stir in by hand.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls, then flatten slightly in your hand. Place a cherry in the center of the dough round, then shape the dough around the cherry. You can also use a medium sized cookie scoop and scoop dough, add cherry and middle and add a little dough on top of cherry and drop on the parchment paper.
- Bake 2" apart on an ungreased cookie sheet for 8-10 mins, being careful not to over-bake as they will crumble if they get too done.
- Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, microwave chocolate chips and shortening for 20 second intervals, stirring between each, until the chocolate is smooth.
- Dip the tops of the cooled cookies in the frosting and let harden or drizzle.
Check out these cookies from the Cookie Recipe Swap!