These Cocoa Marshmallow Brownies are one of my favorite brownies ever! If you're a lover of fluffy chocolate and marshmallow frosted brownies, then these definitely are your kind of brownies!
Lots of light and fluffy cocoa frosting, mini marshmallows, shaved chocolate paired with the most wonderful fudgy, cake-like brownies that you'll fall head over heels over. Literally amazing and tasty!
In fact, one amazing and tasty brownie just won't do, because it's impossible to eat just one, as we found out.
Baked in a 9x13 pan, these nicely feed a crowd, so they are perfect for Christmas parties & potlucks, Easter feast dessert, Valentine's Day, Birthdays, definitely and of course, for the extreme chocolate & marshmallow fans who love the taste of cocoa and the fun, magical wonderment it brings to your taste-buds.
I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Flour 1 for 1 Baking Flour and they turned out wonderfully. I've had a lot of success with Bob's GF Flour when baking in the kitchen. If you are looking for a good gluten-free flour that is comparable to regular all-purpose flour, you should give it a try and let me know how you like it!
There's a pretty good chance you've already used it, but if you are skeptical and want to experiment, it's pretty much guaranteed you will be a happy camper after you try it! You can substitute it for any all-purpose flour in your recipes and no one will ever know. Half of the time, I don't even tell my family and they cannot tell the difference.
Make sure you are using gluten-free marshmallows if you are going all gluten-free. Most brands on store shelves are indeed gluten free; however, some brands do have trace amounts of gluten from their gluten-containing starch. Always read the labels before purchasing marshmallows.
- The brand Kraft makes Jet Puffed marshmallows come in mini and jumbo sizes. Jet Puffed marshmallows do not contain gluten.
- The company Doumak’s marshmallows are all gluten free. Doumak makes marshmallows for private store brands, including Walmart’s store brand and CVS Brand.
- Marshmallow Peeps, made by Just Born, are also usually gluten free, but make sure the packaging says “gluten free” on it so you know it’s safe to eat.
- Smashmallow is a marshmallow brand that makes naturally gluten-free gourmet marshmallows in all kinds of fun flavors.
Other cocoa, chocolatey marshmallow delights, you'll love:
Cocoa Marshmallow Brownies - GF option
- 1 cup (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups Dutch-process cocoa or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour or Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free 1 for 1 Baking Flour
Fluffy Marshmallow Cocoa Frosting
- ¾ cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 - 4 tablespoons heavy cream or milk of choice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup mini marshmallows use gluten-free marshmallows if using GF option, see above in post information about GF marshmallows.
- 1 cup mini-marshmallows use gluten-free marshmallows if using GF option, see above in post information about GF marshmallows.
- 1 chocolate bar shaved or grated
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan or line with parchment paper or tin foil lightly greased for easy removal after baked.
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, or in a saucepan set over low heat, combine the butter and sugar, and heat, stirring, until the butter is melted. Continue to heat (or microwave) briefly, just until the mixture is hot (about 110°F to 120°F), but not bubbling. Mixture should be smooth and shiny.
- Using a mixer, beat eggs at medium speed with the cocoa, salt, baking powder, and vanilla for about 1 minute, or until smooth.
- Add the hot butter/sugar mixture to the egg/cocoa mixture, stirring until smooth.
- Add the flour, stirring until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into a lightly greased 9" x 13" pan.
- Bake the brownies for 28 to 32 minutes. The brownies should feel set on the edges, and the center should look very moist, but not uncooked. Remove them from the oven to cool.
Fluffy Marshmallow Cocoa Frosting
- Using mixer, beat the butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, cream, salt and vanilla together to get frosting consistency you want by adding in more powdered sugar or milk as needed. Beat in marshmallows and frost cake after it has cooled.
- Add marshmallows and grated chocolate to top of brownies. Cut and serve when ready.