Hey have I got the perfect cookies for you to make for your cookie exchanges and parties for the holidays! I know, we're a little ahead of schedule, (I can't help myself!) but I love cookies and I love the holidays because it's baking time folks!
So, let me introduce you to these amazing Butter Pecan Turtle Cookies! They are pretty hip. Let me tell you why!
These awesome golden buttery pecan cookies have Ghirardelli Caramel Chips, chopped pecan bits, melted Ghirardelli milk chocolate drizzles on top, a little sea salt (because sea salt with chocolate and caramel is a must!).
AND....to give it some extra, rich enhanced flavor, I even added in some Nielsen Massey Coffee Extract that I received from Nielsen Massey in a super awesome gift pack they sent me that you would love or anyone you know that bakes would love.
When I was adding in the extract part of the recipe, I guess I must have gotten distracted, because I do a lot of multi-tasking, which can be a good thing in my favor or a bad thing that goes horribly wrong. Don't ask!
So, back to my master plan! I thought I was adding vanilla extract and realized "Rut Roh!".
*UmmmSeriously??* Did I just do what I thought I did? Yup...Whaaa?!!
But it ended up being one of those great mistakes that I want to use coffee extract in everything now! haha! So, if you know me at all, once I get hooked on something I keep using it and you'll probably see it in future recipes on the blog. Spoiler Alert!
Don't get me wrong, vanilla extract would be totally fine in these cookies, but sometimes it's nice to change it up, right? And for the holidays, it just seems this is the perfect distraction with the caramel chips, pecans and milk chocolate turtle combination.
These cookies are the fo-shizzle! These are the true definition of rich, decadent cookies that everyone will love for the holidays for sure.
(Amazon affiliate links are used on this page, if you want to try this excellent Coffee Extract, let me know how you like it, once purchased! )
About the Coffee Extract I used...The rich, freshly brewed flavor of Nielsen-Massey's Pure Coffee Extract is achieved through their careful distillation of premium coffee beans. The full-bodied flavor enhances frozen desserts, baked goods and cocoa as well as savory dishes, like soups, gravies, tomato sauces and salsas. Plus, this concentrated extract is easier for home cooks to keep on hand, unlike ground coffee or beans, which rapidly lose their flavor.
1 tsp. Coffee Extract = 1 tsp. Dry Espresso Powder
1 tsp. Coffee Extract + ¼ cup Water = ¼ cup Brewed Coffee
Available in 2- and 4-ounce bottles, 8 bottles to a case and in 18-ounce bottles, 6 bottles to a case. This product is Kosher and Gluten-Free Certified as well as All-Natural, Allergen-Free and GMO-Free.
Perfect Butter Pecan Turtle Cookies
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter see notes below room temperature
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon coffee or vanilla extract
- ½ cup pecans chopped fine
- 1 cup Ghiradelli caramel chips
- ½ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips I use Ghirardelli
Milk Chocolate Drizzle
- ⅓ cup milk chocolate chips I use Ghirardelli
- Chopped up pecans sprinkled
- Sprinkle of Sea Salt optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray..
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and salt together.
- In another large bowl, using an electric mixer at medium speed, beat together the butter, and sugars about 2 minutes and is smooth.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix on low speed until mixed in.
- Gradually add the flour mixture and mix in until just incorporated. Do not keep mixing - do not overmix.
- Add the mini chocolate chips, caramel chips, chopped pecans and stir with a wooden spoon, again no overmixing, just until incorporated.
- Chill dough if dough is warm.
- Using a small or large ice cream scoop or heaping tablespoon, drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, 6 to 8 per pan, depending on size you are making.
- Bake the cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until the bottoms and edges are lightly browned and the tops feel firm when lightly touched,
- Small cookies bake 8 minutes
- Large cookies bake 10 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- Makes 15 - 30 cookies depending on size.
Flour Tips: Don't over-mix cookie batter especially after the flour is added and add it gradually.
Make sure your baking soda is not expired.
If you want to toast the pecans or walnuts, to give it even more intense flavor and crunchiness. For more intense pecan flavor -- Toast nuts is in a medium oven (325°F). Spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet with a rim and toast 5 – 10 minutes until golden brown.
If you want a crisper cookie, bake 2 - 3 minutes longer.
For more cookie ideas, check out 50 Favorite Christmas Cookie Recipes over at RecipeLion! It's a free eCookbook full of easy cookie recipes and has everything from chocolate Christmas cookies and nutty Christmas cookies to traditional cookie recipes and fruit-filled cookie recipes. YUM! And of course there are like a bajillion here on the blog here.