Ever wish you could savor rich, super chocolatey muffins that weren't loaded with tons of calories but not sacrifice taste and texture? I give you these amazing Super Healthy Fudgy Double Chocolate Muffins!
These muffins taste like cupcakes!!! You won't miss any frosting if they were!
These Super Healthy Fudgy Double Chocolate Muffins recipe are pretty versatile.
They're rich in chocolate flavor. Firm, yet super moist by using applesauce and olive oil.
No banana involved, like these. However you could substitute banana or Greek Yogurt for the applesauce.
You could change up the flour. We used whole wheat flour, but other flour options you can use is gluten-free flour or all-purpose flour 1 for 1.
I love using olive oil, but I also like to use canola, but melted coconut oil or butter could also be options.
Add some flax seed, chia seeds or some chopped nuts for extra protein.
For even more richer chocolate taste, add some coffee extract or use a dark chocolate cocoa powder or use a couple of tablespoons of black cocoa powder.
I can't believe how healthy these are.
It makes me want to eat the whole pan, even more knowing they are healthy!
That's why we have freezers. 🙂 You can freeze these up to 3 months.
Take them out as needed and enjoy with a hot cup of coffee! YUM!
More Healthier Muffins!
You can also find this recipe, roundups and more over at RecipeLion! Have you checked them out?
Super Healthy Fudgy Double Chocolate Muffins
- 1 cup applesauce
- ¼ cup agave nectar honey or maple syrup can also be subbed
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup olive oil or melted coconut oil, canola oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 1 ⅓ cups whole-wheat pastry flour sifted (or unbleached all-purpose or gluten free)
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips + more for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C) and line 12 muffins with paper liners, or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the applesauce, olive oil, aguave syrup, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt for 45 seconds.
- Stir in the almond milk and whisk once more.
- Sift cocoa powder and flour over wet ingredients and stir with a spoon or spatula until just combined. Make you you don't over-mix. You want to mix until just combined.
- Fold in ½ cup chocolate chips.
- Batter should be quite thick, but not pourable. Use a scoop to add the muffin batter to the muffin tins and fill ¾ full and sprinkle with a few more chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 17-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for a few minutes in the pan, remove from tins and let cool on a cooling rack.
- Make sure to seal, will keep several days.
Recipe adapted from FUDGY VEGAN DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BEET MUFFINS