Healthy indulgent Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins are the perfect sweet treat for a quick snack or breakfast on the go! YUM!
Who ate too much over the holidays? Guilty! *slowly raises hand in shame...* LOL! Isn't that what holidays are for? 🙂
'Tis the season to indulge in some healthier options. However for many, (like myself) it's hard to give up something that tastes rich, chocolatey and indulgent! Our bodies would go into shock.
Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins sound like a winner to me! Chocolate and peanut butter are one of the best combinations ever! These muffins are super yummy, moist and rich in flavor!
Ingredients like unsweetened applesauce, creamy peanut butter, mini chocolate chips, sugar-free maple syrup, whole wheat flour, premium cocoa powder, unsweetened almond milk and a little sugar make the most delicious muffins.
The whole wheat flour adds fiber, vitamins, and nutrients; the peanut butter elevates supreme flavor and the chocolate...well is there anything better?
The recipe makes 12 luscious muffins and they are great for quick snacking and breakfast on the go.
You'll find you can substitute other ingredients as well to make it your own adaptation with the sugars, flour, milk and nut butter. I've listed some substitutes if you want to make them gluten-free, dairy-free and want to use other sugar options.
You can add some peanut butter mixed with some maple syrup. Drizzle it on top! Add some peanut butter chips to give it some contrasting color and more peanut butter love. Not necessary if you want them healthier.
Hope you enjoy these Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins! YUM!
More healthy muffins!
Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce (mashed banana can be subbed)
- ¼ cup sugar-free maple syrup regular pure maple syrup, honey or agave nectar can also be subbed
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar of choice coconut or brown can be subbed
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter any nut butter can be subbed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (any milk can be subbed)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ⅓ cups whole-wheat flour (all-purpose or gluten free flour can be used)
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips + more for topping if desired (diary-free chocolate chips can be used)
Peanut Butter Drizzle / Chips
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ teaspoon maple syrup
- Peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C) and line 12 muffins with paper liners, or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the applesauce, maple syrup, peanut butter, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt for 45 seconds.
- Stir in the almond milk and whisk once more.
- Sift cocoa powder and flour over wet ingredients and stir with a spoon or spatula until just combined. Make you you don't over-mix. You want to mix until just combined.
- Fold in ½ cup chocolate chips.
- Batter should be quite thick, but not pourable. Use a scoop to add the muffin batter to the muffin tins and fill ¾ full and sprinkle with a few more chocolate chips or peanut butter chips on top if desired.
- Bake for 17-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes in the pan, remove from tins and let cool on a cooling rack.
Peanut Butter Drizzle:
- Put peanut butter into a microwavable dish for 20 seconds on high. Add maple syrup and stir together and then scoop into a ziplock back. Snip corner of bag and drizzle the peanut butter mixture on top of the muffins in a zig-zag motion.
- Make sure to seal, will keep several days.
Adapted from these Super Healthy Fudgy Double Chocolate Muffins