These soft and creamy espresso truffles are definitely going to get your attention! Indulge in dreamy decadent chocolate truffles enhanced with espresso flavor for a rich mocha chocolate explosion! Definitely a coffee lover's dream come true made with 4 main ingredients! YUM!
The secret to the best and creamiest truffles is using sweetened condensed milk, which I readily always have on hand and I love an easy recipe that uses only a handful of ingredients.
If you don't have espresso powder, you can leave it out completely or replace it with using an equal amount of instant coffee powder or granules.
Truffles are one of the best candies you can make and always a favorite among those who love to sit around and eat bonbons all day long on the couch watching soap operas, of course... (Hmm...who could that be?)
But of course, truffles in general are perfect for holidays and satisfying your sweet tooth or teeth, which ever you call it. It's fun to make an assortment of truffles and place them in a box and give them to friends or family.
Or the usual suspect... Yourself. Your own personal stash at your own beck and call. Not naming names...moving on. 🙂
Other Truffle Candies You'll Love!
Red Velvet Luv Truffles, these Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles, these Pumpkin Cream Cheese Truffles, these Coconut Almond Joy Cups and these Easy Fluffy Chocolate Marshmallow Peanut Clusters!
You can make your truffles all look the same or you can opt to roll them in sprinkles, finely chopped nuts, toasted or fresh sweetened coconut, powdered sugar or cocoa powder.
You can also smother them in the chocolate of your choice. There is no magic formula to dipping truffles. It’s a messy task. I find it easier if the truffles are cold. Simply use a fork to lift the truffles out of the chocolate, tapping the fork on the side of the bowl to shake off any excess chocolate. Then place the truffles on a baking tray lined with baking or parchment paper to set.
Once covered with chocolate, decorate them with extra drizzles of chocolate, candies, chocolate covered coffee beans, cookie crumbles or anything that looks fun! Even plain is fine because these have intense chocolate flavor that is amazing, but as far as presentation, they look better when covered with chocolate or sprinkles, etc.
Chocolate Espresso Truffles
- Chocolate Espresso Truffles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup chocolate sprinkles for decorating or you can melt chocolate (about 3 cups good quality chocolate chips or chopped chocolate for 12 truffles, reduced amount if only doing a portion), + other decoratives on top like coffee beans or oreo cookie crumbles. You can also roll them powdered sugar or cocoa powder, finely chopped nuts or toasted or sweetened coconut for the the finishing touch!
- Grease a pan or bowl with butter and set aside.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter and add the sweetened condensed milk and mix together.
- Stir in the cocoa powder and espresso powder and reduce heat to medium low; stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth and thick, about 10 - 15 minutes.
- It’s done when you run the spoon through the center of the mixture and it takes a few seconds to combine again.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan/bowl; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cooled completely, about 2 hours or overnight.
- When set, scoop dough with a small tablespoon cookie scoop or pinch some off and roll the mixture into 12 small balls. (you may need to apply a small amount of butter to your hands to help them from sticking). Place in fridge or freeze while you prepare the final touches. The colder the truffle ball is the better when melting in chocolate.
- Prepare a pan with parchment or wax paper to coat in sprinkles or melted chocolate. To melt chocolate, microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring well between each interval until melted. Dip each ball into chocolate with a fork and shake off excess and place on prepared pan. Add any decorate touch before chocolate sets.
- Place in fridge for 15 minutes for chocolate to set.