If you completely adore brownies with walnuts in them, then these Brownie Walnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies have your name written all over them. (and mine!) Every bite has walnuts and chocolate chunks in every one of these fudgy brownie cookies and I'm pretty happy about that!
And since these are soft and fudgy, glorious walnut brownie cookies, I was suspiciously stalking them like nobody's business until they were gone....*sad face*
For the chocolate chunks, I love Enjoy Life Chocolate Chunks. They are my preferred choice for these cookies and you can buy them on Amazon or at your local grocery store. They are rich and taste amazing and no sugar. Gotta cut back when possible! 🙂
My favorite saying is that "I'm cookie, brownie and chocolate obsessed" and nothing could be farther from the truth.
Of all the sweets and desserts in the world, brownies are truly my kryptonite. So, if you want to get some kind of information out of me or a favor, brownie bribery is a real probability of achieving that task. Have I said too much? I suddenly feel like a bunch of brownies are coming my way?
I love my vegan option for these cookies. If you love vegan / plant-based options, check out the new dailyveganmeal.com. I know them personally, and they are very passionate about protecting their babies, our planet, being kind to nature's creatures, and overall living a healthy balanced lifestyle.
Whether you’re vegan or not, if you're looking for ways to get more protein in your diet, another great source would be to check out this Detailed Review of Free Soul Vegan Shakes. It contains bonus nutrients that are helpful from a fitness and overall health perspective. That way you can eat brownie cookies and get your protein in! 😉 It's all about balance and eating your favorites in moderation!
Come on! Let's DEVOUR these bad boys!
See Tips / Dietary Options below in Recipe Notes
Brownie Walnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies – Vegan & GF Options too!
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup white granulated sugar or ¾ white sugar, omit brown sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted (or dairy-free butter)
- ½ cup applesauce (or 1 large egg + 2 tablespoons oil of choice)
- 2 teaspoons pure chocolate or vanilla extract
- 1 ⅓ cups all purpose flour or gluten free flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips or chunks + some for top of cookies (I used Enjoy Life dairy-free chocolate chunks)
- ½ cup walnuts rough chopped or whole, add more if desired, I desired and added 1 cup
- Optional: ½ cups chopped dried cherries I added these to the last 3rd of dough I had left
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cookie sheet (s) with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, white sugar, brown sugar, cooled down butter and applesauce or egg and oil combo. Add in vanilla and mix together.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to the wet ingredients mixing with a wooden spoon until a soft dough forms. Fold in the chocolate chunks/chips, walnuts and cherries if desired.
- Using a small or medium cookie scoop or 1 ½ tablespoon - 2 tablespoons, place onto prepared baking sheets. Press them down however thick or thin you want cookies. Cookies do not spread much.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes. The cookies will appear soft from the oven but will set up as they cool. 8 minutes for soft and fudgy - 10 minutes for soft and chewier. Don't overbake.
- Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool.
For my Vegan Option:Applesauce and dairy-free butter is used instead of 1 egg and butter. Use dairy-free chocolate chunks or chips. I use these all the time and I love them- also sugar-free! Enjoy Life chocolate chunks.
For my Gluten-Free Option:Replace all-purpose flour with a good gluten-free flour mix
For my Healthier Option:Use whole-wheat flour or ½ all purpose + ½ whole-wheat flour.
Can also use applesauce versus 1 egg.
Use Lakanto healthy sugar (it's awesome!) and Enjoy Life chocolate chunks. Lakanto makes sugar-free chocolate chips too and if you want to get those or any other Lakanto products, feel free to use my 15% discount code: thebakingchocolatess15
Add Other Add-ins:I added some dried cherries to some of the dough and they were superb! Use other add-ins such as white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, dried fruits, chopped peanut butter cups, hazelnuts, almonds or pecans, oreo cookie chunks, m&m's...ok, I think you probably get the point.
Recipe adapted from Cafe Delites