Spicy! Chocolate! Cinnamon! <——– Looks like fist-full of trouble to me.
The 3 Sexy Amigos!
These “Mexican Spiced Brownies” are muy caliente!
I have no will-power. Chocolate ‘things’ tempt me. When chocolate is involved, I’m not going to say nooooo! (I’ve tried, but why quit a good thing, if it’s not broken, eh?)
If you are a true chocoholic, then you understand, why I can’t quit these sinfully, rich, spiced brownies in front of my face. They are laced with just the right balance of cinnamon and a secret ingredient, wait for it….wait...yea?
Yes, I did say “chili powder”. Besides, this 5 star recipe is adapted from Aaron Sanchez’s Mexican Brownies. (I think he knows what he’s doing, thank you Aaron!)
I know chili powder and chocolate sound like a wierd combination, but then, add in some cinnamon, and o boy…this killer combination of heat, just puts these babies over the top! They really are quite delightful and I was pleasantly surprised. I want to keep eating them, even when I’m not eating them, because I obsess about chocolatey ‘things’.
These brownies do not need frosting, they are just as moist and flavorful without. It’s just your own personal preference. Making these again on Cinco de Mayo coming up, no frosting and maybe with some mini chocolate chips! Definitely sprinkles! We’re celebratin’! (Pssstt…You might want to do the same, you know, make this recipe!)
Trust me, everyone will be talking about these rockin’ brownies, that is, if you share. Enjoy and here’s the recipe!
Mexican Spiced Brownies
Mexican Spiced Brownies
- 2 sticks unsalted butter plus extra for greasing pan
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground Mexican cinnamon or cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/3 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Milk Chocolate Buttermilk Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 ounces milk chocolate melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- Optional: Chili Powder & Cinnamon to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two sides. Press the paper into the corners of the pan and lightly grease the paper with butter.
- In a microwavable bowl, melt the 2 sticks of butter in microwave and let cool slightly.
- Add the sugar, eggs and vanilla to the butter and mix until well blended with a whisk or spoon.
- Add the flour, cocoa cinnamon, chili powder, baking powder and salt and whisk or stir until smooth.
- Pour and spread the batter in the baking pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out fudgy, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool brownies in pan on a wire rack, then use the parchment paper to lift out the brownies. Cut and serve.
If you want to frost
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until fluffy.
- Add the melted chocolate and vanilla and continue beating until well combined.
- Add confectioners' sugar and 2 tablespoons buttermilk and continue beating until smoth and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Add more buttermilk if necessary.