Butterscotch Toffee Chocolate Cake is everything you'd ever want in a rich, decadent chocolate cake frosted with the most luscious, Butterscotch Toffee Frosting ever!
It will have you craving more and more and more! Umm...Seriously.
Butterscotch has that buttery and brown sugar flavors that I love, but it's very rich tasting, so a little goes a long way. Not the case here...
And...I found something new. I always have to tell you what I'm loving! Guittard Butterscotch Chips! 🙂
May I just say...best Butterscotch Chips ever! I can't wait to try these in some cookies or bars, but in frosting, it's the cat's butterscotchy meowwww-meowww!!
These amazing butterscotch chips melt like butta. Real smooth.
I've tried some other brands, and for melting and tasting, and these are really nice.
About the Cake and Frosting!
The cake is chocolaty, but it's not overly sweet and even has some Greek yogurt in it to lighten it up a bit.
This chocolate cake pairs divinely with the alluring butterscotch frosting. Oh and those intense toffee bits are sweet and salty! This cake explodes with the best flavor combinations ever!
There's even cream cheese in the frosting!! The crunchiness of the toffee...O. M. Geeee!!! That's just icing on the cake! ...with toffee of course!
Double the recipe if you want to do a double layer cake or 9 x 13.
Butterscotch Toffee Chocolate Cake
- ¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt I used Oikos Zero Greek Yogurt
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- ⅓ cup olive or canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Butterscotch Toffee Frosting
- 6 oz. or 1 cup Guittard Butterscotch Chips
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons almond milk or milk of choice
- Couple pinches of salt
- ¼ to ½ cup toffee chips I used Heath
- 1 good quality milk chocolate bar chopped roughly
To make cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 1 8- or 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray, then dust with flour.
- Sift flour, cocoa, cornstarch, baking soda and salt into a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, add yogurt, granulated sugar, dark brown sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Using mixer, beat on low speed until blended about a minute.
- Add in the dry ingredients and then beat on high speed for 2 minutes longer.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing top.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until cakes feel set when lightly pressed in center and wooden skewer comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely.
Butterscotch Toffee Frosting
- Place the butterscotch morsels in a microwavable bowl and microwave on high, stirring every 30 second intervals until melted.
- In a separate bowl, using a mixer, cream the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in the butter, milk, salt and powdered sugar and continue beating until smooth.
- Add in the melted butterscotch morsels mix until fully combined, then mix in toffee chips.
- Frost cake.
- Add rough chopped milk chocolate to the top of the frosting.
- Cut and Devour!
Recipe adapted: Trisha Yearwood Butterscotch Frosting