Oatmeal Butterscotch & Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars taste like a dream, but you can make them become a reality easily! Enjoy thick and chewy, buttery soft oatmeal cookie bars loaded with butterscotch and chocolate chips for a super fun treat the whole family will love!
We love to add oats to bars firstly, because of the way they taste, but also because of their amazing healthy benefits. We used old-fashioned rolled oats in this recipe but you could also use quick 0ats, no problem. Even a combination of both oats are amazing, so use whatever you have available on hand because you need these now! 🙂 Note: Quick oats have a mild flavor with a softer texture than the rolled oats.
More Oatmeal bars include these Healthy Chunky Monkey Oatmeal Bars – Easy, these Chocolate Oatmeal Fudge Bars (Gluten Free Option) and these Delish Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars! We love them all!
This recipe is one of those classic recipes that you can modify to fit your preferred tastes. Add raisins, pecans or walnuts, peanut butter or white chocolate, m&ms, toffee bits, candy bar bits, caramel, dried fruit, sprinkles or whatever you have in your pantry.
You can really load these up with some yummy goodies, ya know? But the combo of butterscotch and chocolate is one of our faves!
Pssst….For ooey gooey oatmeal bars, just don’t overbake for the chewiness of the oats and the slightly gooey center. They will continue baking after you take them out of oven.
And, if you’re one of those peeps that can’t wait until they cool off, you’ll want to dig in right away with a spoon for melty chocolate and butterscotch in your bars! Otherwise, wait until they cool completely to slice into bars. For nicely cut bars, place bars in fridge to firm up, then slice into bars.
These Oatmeal Butterscotch & Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are irresistible! We made a small batch in an 8×8 pan, but for more bars, just double the recipe and awayyyyy we go!
Oatmeal Butterscotch & Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon. vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon. salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats quick oats or combo of oats
- 2/3 cup milk chocolate chips
- ½ cup butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8x8 pan with non-stick cooking spray. Line with parchment for easy removal.
- In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients of flour, salt, baking soda,and rolled oats together, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using mixer or by hand beat together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth and light.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat in.
- Add dry ingredient mixture to wet mixture and continue mixing together until combined. Fold in chocolate and butterscotch chips, reserving some for the top of the bars.
- Spread or press cookie dough into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle remaining butterscotch and chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. After 25 minutes, check cookie bars by giving the pan a little shake. If it jiggles in the middle, put the pan back in and try again every 5 minutes until there is no longer any jiggle and it’s better to not overbake.
- Remove from the oven and let cool 10 minutes before cutting.
- Double recipe for large batch.