Got cake mix? Make any variety of cookies you want with your favorite cake mix and add in your favorite yums to make them ultra tasty. Check your cupboards now and make these Easy Upgrade Cake Mix Cookies!
These are fun for lazy days when that cookie craving hits! And most likely, you have cake mix in your pantry, right and if you don’t, get it the next round at the store! Anyhoo, this is a great way to have a little fun with only a few ingredients.
Oh and you can make these vegan if you want, if you use any of the Duncan Hines Cake Mixes. I’ve been baking a lot of vegan things lately in the kitchen, using Egg Replacer. It worked well in these cookies, so it’s highly recommended if you don’t have eggs on hand. You can get the recipe for the vegan cake mix cookie version here at the Daily Vegan Meal.
So let’s talk about fun cookie combinations!
Wanna upgrade? Sweet! Here’s some cool ideas!
Party Fun: Of course, sprinkles win! Add in 1 cup rainbow sprinkles or your favorite sprinkles on earth!
For Chocolate Chips or Chunks: Add in 1 1/2 cups of your favorite or a combination of chips!
Frosting: Add your favorite frosting to the top of these cookies after they’ve cooled and add some sprinkles for some decor!
Candy Options: Add in Snickers, Peanut Butter Cups, Andes Mints, crushed peppermint, Heath Bar toffee, M&M’s
Dried Fruit or Nuts of any kind: Add in about 1/2 cup to 1 cup depending on how much you want!
Roll in powdered sugar before baking and get that fantastic crinkle type cookie!
Add some chopped oreos! The ideas are endless…you know?!
- strawberry cake mix with milk chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and/or with cream cheese frosting with chopped oreos on top!
- carrot cake mix with cream cheese frosting or coconut, nuts and raisins or both!
- lemon cake mix with white chocolate chips or topped with lemon or cream cheese buttercream frosting
- yellow cake mix with white or mini chocolate chips or with a creamy milk chocolate frosting
- chocolate or dark fudge cake mix with one of the following: white chocolate chips, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, mint chips, caramel chips, butterscotch chips
- cherry chip cake mix with white chocolate chips or chocolate chips
- spice cake mix with cream cheese frosting or with cinnamon chips, raisins and nuts
- german chocolate cake mix with chopped pecans and coconut, drizzled in chocolate
- orange cake mix with vanilla buttercream frosting
- red velvet cake mix with cream cheese frosting or white chocolate chips
What’s your ideal cookie idea? For Valentine’s Day, go for strawberry, red velvet, cherry chip or chocolate and make it happen with your favorite add-ins!
Other Cake Mix Cookie Ideas!
Easy Upgrade Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 box any flavor cake mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon of milk or non-dairy milk
- 1 and 1/4 cups chocolate chips of choice
- see other add-in ideas in article post
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper to keep cookies from spreading
- In a small bowl whisk eggs, oil and milk together. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together cake mix and baking powder.
- Add egg mixture to cake mixture and mix together using mixer until all the dry cake mix lumps disappear.
- Fold in chocolate chips or any other add-ins you wish to upgrade your cookies.
- Drop by round tablespoon balls or use a small cookie scoop onto baking sheet and do not flatten.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Be careful to not allow for browning.
- Allow to cool and then transfer to wire rack.
For Vegan Version: You can get the recipe for the vegan cake mix cookies here at the Daily Vegan Meal.