This Awesome Country Apple Fritter Bread is one of the top recipes on the blog!
It’s so versatile, delicious and it sure doesn’t last long!
The verdict seems to be, you need to bake two…because the first one will disappear in no time.
I like to use Granny Smith Apples in most of my apple recipes, because I like a little sweet and tart together. You can use whatever kind of apples you love. But if you need a recommendation for an apple type to use, go here.
Wanna spice it up with the best? I use RawSpiceBar‘s freshly ground cinnamon. It’s sourced from Vietnam, naturally organic and best of all they grind it fresh each week and ship in small batches so I don’t end up using 3 year old, dusty cinnamon anymore :).
You can buy nearly any freshly ground spices direct from their shop or sign up for a spice subscription & get super fresh spices & blends quarterly, with plenty of recipe inspiration! Go to RawSpiceBar for more information!
Awesome Country Apple Fritter Bread
Brown Sugar/Cinnamon Mixture:
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs room temp
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk or almond milk room temp
Chopped Apple Mixture
- 2 apples any kind, peeled and chopped. Then toss apples with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon just before adding it to the bread mixture.
Old-Fashioned Creme Glaze
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- 1-3 tablespoons of milk or cream- depending on thickness of glaze wanted. For more apple fritter style like the apple fritter donut- use more milk for a thinner glaze that you can pour over the whole loaf.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a 9x5-inch loaf pan and spray with non-stick spray or line with foil and spray with non-stick spray to get out easily for slicing.
- Mix 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine & whisk 1 & 1/2 cups flour and 1 & 3/4 teaspoons baking powder together in another bowl and set aside.
- In another medium-sized bowl, beat 2/3 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 cup softened butter together using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in 2 eggs, one at a time until blended in; add in 1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract.t and mix.
- Add the flour mixture into creamed butter mixture and mix until blended.
- Mix 1/2 cup milk into batter and continue mixing until smooth.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan; add half the chopped apple mixture with the sugar and cinnamon added in.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture you set aside earlier, on top of apple layer.
- Pour the remaining batter over apple layer and top with remaining chopped apples, then the remaining brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Lightly pat apples into batter; swirl brown sugar mixture through apples using knife or spoon.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, approximately 60 minutes.
- To make glaze, mix 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1 to 3 tablespoons milk or cream together until well mixed. (Place mixture in microwave for 10 seconds to get it pourable if it needs a boost.)
- Let loaf rest in pan for about 15 minutes before removing from pan to let cool off completely on a cooling rack. Drizzle with glaze.
- If you want more glaze, make a double batch. 🙂
Next time I think I would add in walnuts. You can always use other fruit, or you could add in chocolate chips too! (Of course!) Depending on thickness of glaze wanted, you can go for thick or thin. For a more apple fritter style like the apple fritter donut, use 3 tablespoons milk for a thinner glaze that you can pour and drench over the whole loaf and then make another batch again, using 1 tablespoon milk and then drizzle on top of the first glaze. Substitutions: I've also substituted this with 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt, 1/3 cup milk of choice and add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda instead of 1/2 cup milk as called out in the bread loaf ingredients. Vegan: Use flax eggs, earth balance and almond milk. Baking options: Bake 30-40 min. for 2 loaf recipe (2 8x4 pans) 15-20 minutes for muffins 50 -60 minutes for one full loaf recipe (9x5 pan) CrockPot Express Tips below!
CrockPot Express Lovers!!
Here’s some tips from my baking co-worker friend Gerri Ruiz, if you want to use your CrockPot Express to make this bread!
- When adding the layers, layer in the opposite direction, starting with the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture, then apple mixture, the bread batter and repeat by placing in a greased 6 cup Bundt pan.
- Put 1 cup water in pot and set the the Bundt pan on trivet.
- Close lid and close steam knob.
- Set to 40 minutes on “Dessert” function or if manual, set on low pressure and then use the QPR when done.
- Lift out with retriever tongs or something you don’t burn yourself with.
- Let cool for 15 minutes and place plate on top and turn cake onto plate. Glaze. 🙂