Caramel and apples are the favorite dynamic duo for fall to bring in one of the most favorite seasons properly! (It’s standard protocol right?) Well, this Apple Caramel Toffee Cake needs to be on your to-make list to make it official ya’ll and I got all of my ingredients at ALDI! (Like every week!)
So, here’s the scoop. I love to go to ALDI on a weekly basis and check out all the grocery aisles for new products to use in my recipes. This week, my mission was to come up with a delectable Caramel Apple Toffee Cake for my family and incorporate it into a poke cake, because poke cakes are the bomb!
More than that, I was dying to use a new ingredient that I found in the ALDI candy aisle and it involved using these deliciously, dreamy Moser Roth Mike Toffee Crunch Bars. Is that soooo wrong? I just can’t help myself!
You might get slightly addicted to them. (Don’t say I didn’t tell you so!) There are 5 mini bars in each pack, but I think it’s a trick because eating just one bar is just a teaser.
I’m always looking for shortcuts, new finds and cutting costs, because let’s face it, we like easy to make, love to try new foods AND the more money we don’t spend on groceries, the happier we are, right? When I go to Aldi, I’m always shocked how low my grocery total is when I get my total! I get giddy and my eyes about pop out of my head!
Ok, so you want the easy and delish recipe for this fluffy whipped cream and rich, decadent milk chocolate and toffee crunch bits sit on top of this light and moist caramel apple induced cake perfect for fall and party-time?
All you need to do is bake a yellow cake, as directed on the box using a 9×13 pan.
While the cake is baking, peel 4-6 apples, dice them up, add 2 tablespoons brown sugar and microwave for 3 -4 minutes, add in 1/2 cup of caramel to those microwaved apples and set aside.
After your cake has baked, poke holes with a wood spoon handle for that gooey caramel sauce to ooze in and soak up that cake. Add the caramel apple mixture on top and spread evenly and transfer to your fridge covered.
Whip up some fresh whipped cream topping and and sprinkle those chopped chocolate toffee bits on top and get ready for a layered Caramel Apple Toffee Cake “Explosion of Yumminess” in your mouth!
Seriously! So be warned…you might eat the whole pan of Apple Caramel Toffee Cake love, if you’re not careful! 🙂
ALDI also has organic fruits as well, so you could use organic apples if you wish in this recipe.
Check that out next time you go! If you have an ALDI store close to you, and you’ve never been, stop in for a visit! I think you will be pleasantly surprised and get ready for some amazing cost savings!
Now for the recipe using ALDI ingredients (of course!)
Apple Caramel Toffee Cake
Yellow Cake Layer
- 1 box Bakers Corner Yellow Cake Mix @ $.99 Pudding in Mix
- 3 Goldhen Large Eggs @ $.88 per dozen
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup Carlini Canola or Vegetable Oil
Caramel Apple Filling
- 5-6 Granny Smith Apples peeled and chopped fine, $3.89 per bag
- 3 tablespoons Bakers Corner Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup of Berryhill Creamy Caramel Dip see below in Caramel Layer
- 2 - 14 oz . Berryhill Creamy Caramel Dip @ 1.99 each minus 1/2 cup used in Apple Layer above
Whipped Cream Layer
- 1 - 16 oz . Countryside Creamery Heavy Whipping Cream @ $1.99
- 1/2 cup Baker's Corner Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Vanilla Extract
- 1 Moser Roth Privat Chocolatiers Milk Toffee Crunch Bar 5 mini bars inside, chopped @ $1.99
Yellow Cake Layer
- Prepare the cake beating in eggs, oil and water as directed on box and bake in a 13x9 pan, spray or grease pan.
Caramel Apple Filling
- Mix chopped apples and brown sugar together in transfer to a microwaveable bowl and microwave on high for 4 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of caramel dip and set aside.
- Once the cake is cooled, use a wooden spoon to poke holes evenly throughout the cake.
- Heat the remainder of the caramel dip for 1 - 2 minutes or until pourable and pour evenly over cake, trying to fill up the holes.
- Spoon caramel apple filling on top of caramel layer and spread it out evenly. Place cake in refrigerator and cover.
- In another bowl, beat the whipping cream and powdered sugar together for 4-5 minutes until light and fluffy peaks form. Top cake with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle milk toffee bar pieces all over the top of the cake.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight until ready to serve.
Love apples? You really should try this Awesome Apple Fritter Bread too!!