We absolutely adore this Holiday Chocolate Mint Poke Cake! It’s got a fluffy ‘phat‘ layer of mint green whipped topping on top of a luscious chocolate cake drenched with a sweetened condensed milk Andes Creme de Menthe fudge filling and it’s screaming ‘SPRING!
*SPRINGGGGGGG!! Can you hear me?
Winter, we are so over you! Fricking move aside already! You’ve never been a fan of ours anyways, except on Christmas Day…I sound bitter, but I hate being cold. I can’t seem to function!
Anyhoo, let’s bring on St. Patrick’s Day and Easter. Anything to get us closer to warmer weather and the ideas of rejuvenation, renewal, and regrowth to make everything fresh, bright and beautiful again.
Don’tcha think mint is so refreshing?
It just wakes up the senses and when you pair it with chocolate, OMGosh, you get one of the best combinations of decadent and indulgent flavors you could ever imagine.
Plus, look at that amazing, pastel mint color! It’s so pretty!!
Hey! You can always add some sweet sprinkles too for any kind of celebration! The kids always love the sprinkles and chocolate chips!
Some Helpful Shortcuts & Tips: (Amazon links used)
- I used Andes Creme de Menthe Bits to melt with the sweetened condensed milk to make a delicious fudgy, mint filling to pour into the chocolate cake’s poked holes I made, so it drenches through the cake. If you want to substitute the Andes bits, just use a high quality chocolate to melt with the sweetened condensed milk and add a 1/2 teaspoon of mint extract.
- I made a home-made Classic Chocolate Cake, but you can use a chocolate cake mix for a 9×13 pan for a quicker shortcut.
- Same idea with the mint whipped cream layer. If you don’t have time to whip it up, which really only takes a few minutes, then go with pre-made Cool Whip.
So take a big bite of Spring…I mean Holiday Chocolate Mint Poke Cake!
Perfect for St. Patrick’s Day *ahem*, coming up! Of course you can go the complete opposite of the seasonal scale, because this cake is wonderful for Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving! And even if it’s not a holiday, this cake is great any time when you want chocolate and mint!
We absolutely adore this Holiday Chocolate Mint Poke Cake! It's got a fluffy 'phat' layer of mint green whipped topping on top of a luscious chocolate cake drenched with a sweetened condensed milk Andes Creme de Menthe fudge filling! YUM!
- 2/3 cup butter softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs room temp
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk Eagle Brand is the best!
- 1 cup Andes Creme De Menthe Baking Chips
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Optional: ½ teaspoon mint extract
- Optional: Green food gel or color
- Accessories: Mini Chocolate Chips sprinkles optional.
In a bowl, using a mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Combine flour, cocoa powder , baking soda and salt together, then add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating until smooth after each addition.
Pour batter into a greased and floured 13x9-in. pan.
Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until cake tests done.
Poke cake with holes and fill with creme de menthe filling while cake is still hot.
Place creme de menthe bits and sweetened condensed together in a microwaveable bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds increments until the chocolate is melted, smooth and pourable. Pour over holes in poke cake
Using a mixer, whip the whipped cream for several minutes until stiff peaks. Whip in the powdered sugar, mint extract and green food coloring and spread on top of cake.
Add chocolate chips, sprinkles and transfer to fridge.
Let cake set in fridge for up to 4 hours or overnight. Cut and enjoy.
If you don't have the Andes Creme de Menthe bits, you can use semi-sweet chocolate instead with a 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of mint extract. Don't go nuts on the extract--A little goes a long way.
If you want to use Cool Whip instead of whipping cream, you'll need 4 cups, then mix in the rest of the ingredients and mix together until combined.
For more chocolate and mint delights, check these out!